Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractEmpirical evidence suggests that there are important spillovers as-sociated with the operations of multinational enterprises. Spillovers may occur when less advanced, local firms learn from their more ad-vanced, foreign competitors. But less advanced firms may also actively seek knowledge by investing abroad, so-called "technology sourcing" FDI. The present paper focuses on entry strategies in the presence of technological differences and spillovers.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration- in its series Papers with number 28/2001.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: NORWEGIAN SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION, HELLEVEIEN 30, 5035 BERGEN SANDVIKEN NORWAY.
Phone: 5595 9000
Fax: 5595 9100
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/
More information through EDIRC
FOREIGN INVESTMENTS ; TECHNOLOGY ; COMPETITION;
Other versions of this item:
- Kjetil Bjorvatn & Carsten Eckel, 2006. "Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 600-614, 09.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chiara Franco & Francesco Rentocchini & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2008. "Why do firms invest abroad? An analysis of the motives underlying Foreign Direct Investments," Department of Economics Working Papers 0817, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- ISHIKAWA Jota & HORIUCHI Eiji, 2012.
"Strategic Foreign Direct Investment in Vertically Related Markets,"
12014, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Jota Ishikawa & Eiji Horiuchi, 2012. "Strategic Foreign Direct Investment in Vertically Related Markets," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(281), pages 229-242, 06.
- Belderbos, Rene & Lykogianni, Elissavet & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2005.
"Strategic R&D Location by Multinational Firms: Spillovers, Technology Sourcing and Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- René Belderbos & Elissavet Lykogianni & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2008. "Strategic R&D Location by Multinational Firms: Spillovers, Technology Sourcing, and Competition," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 759-779, 09.
- Smeets, Roger & Bosker, E.M., 2011. "Leaders, laggards and technology seeking strategies," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 481-497.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou, 2013. "Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Vertically Related Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 4117, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dierk Herzer, 2010.
"The Long-Run Relationship between Outward FDI and Total Factor Productivity: Evidence for Developing Countries,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
199, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Herzer, Dierk, 2011. "The Long-Run Relationship between Outward FDI and Total Factor Productivity: Evidence for Developing Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 41, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- René Belderbos & Elissavet Lykogianni & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2008. "Strategic R&D Location in European Manufacturing Industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 183-206, July.
- Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Garzón San Felipe, María Begoña, 2011. "Relocation and Investment in R&D by Firms," IKERLANAK 2011-52, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.