Efficient Bargains And The Mcdonald-Solow Conjecture
AbstractThis article explores the conjecture of I. McDonald and R. Solow (1981) that the outcome from a bargain over wages and employment can be approximately achieved by a bargain over wages and the labor-capital ratio (the "crew size"), where the latter can be argued to be more representative of the real world. The author derives a crew size contract curve and shows that this conjecture is not generally true. A test to determine which model is generating real-world data is suggested. The wage rigidity results derived by McDonald and Solow for their contract cure do not apply to this crew size contract curve. Copyright 1990 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics in its series Papers with number 350.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE, CENTER FOR LABOUR ECONOMICS, HOUGHTON STREET LONDON WC2A 2AE ENGLAND.
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
collective bargaining ; wages ; contracts;
Other versions of this item:
- Clark, Andrew, 1990. "Efficient Bargains and the McDonald-Solow Conjecture," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 502-28, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chang, Juin-jen & Shaw, Ming-fu & Lai, Ching-chong, 2007.
"A "Managerial" trade union and economic growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 365-384, February.
- Adriana Cassoni, 1997. "A brief survey on the role of trade unions in labour market," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0697, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Abraham, Filip & Konings, Joep & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2009.
"The Effect of Globalization on Union Bargaining and Price-Cost Margins of Firms,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/177076, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Filip Abraham & Jozef Konings & Stijn Vanormelingen, 2009. "The effect of globalization on union bargaining and price-cost margins of firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 13-36, April.
- Abraham, Filip & Konings, Joep & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2007. "The effect of globalization on union bargaining and price-cost margins of firms," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/120458, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Filip Abraham & Jozef Konings & Stijn Vanormelingen, 2007. "The Effect of Globalization on Union Bargaining and Price-Cost Margins of Firms," LICOS Discussion Papers 18107, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Hirsch, Barry T. & Prasad, Kislaya, 1995. "Wage-employment determination and a union tax on capital: Can theory and evidence be reconciled?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 61-71, April.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 1998.
"Central Bank Independence, Centralization of Wage Bargaining, Inflation and Unemployment - Theory and Some Evidence,"
1998-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 1999. "Central bank independence, centralization of wage bargaining, inflation and unemployment:: Theory and some evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1395-1434, June.
- Nicholas Lawson, 2011. "Is Collective Bargaining Pareto Efficient? A Survey of the Literature," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 282-304, September.
- Lai, Chung-Hui & Wang, Vey, 2010. "The effects of unionization in an R&D growth model with (In)determinate equilibrium," MPRA Paper 27748, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Jansen, 2003. "Economic Effects of the New German Copyright Contract Law," Law and Economics 0302003, EconWPA.
- Vannini, Stefano & Bughin, Jacques, 2000. "To be (unionized) or not to be? A case for cost-raising strategies under Cournot oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(9), pages 1763-1781, October.
- Klasa, Sandy & Maxwell, William F. & Ortiz-Molina, Hernán, 2009. "The strategic use of corporate cash holdings in collective bargaining with labor unions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 421-442, June.
- Luca Gori & Luciano Fanti, 2009. "Right-to-manage unions endogenous growth and welfare," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 903-917.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.