Wavelets in Time Series Analysis
AbstractThis article reviews the role of wavelets in statistical time series analysis. We survey work that emphasises scale such as estimation of variance and the scale exponent of a process with a specific scale behaviour such as 1/f processes. We present some of our own work on locally stationary wavelet (LSW) processes which model both stationary and some kinds of non-stationary processes. Analysis of time series assuming the LSW model permits identification of an evolutionary wavelet spectrum (EWS) that quantifies the variation in a time series over a particualr state and at a particular time. We address estimation of the EWS and show how our methodology reveals phenomena of interest in an infant electrocardiogram series.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique in its series Papers with number 9901.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institut de Statistique, Voie du Roman Pays, 34 B-1348 Louvain- La-Neuve, Belgique.
TIME SERIES ; STATISTICAL ANALYSIS ; ESTIMATION OF PARAMETERS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Debashis Mondal & Donald Percival, 2010. "Wavelet variance analysis for gappy time series," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 62(5), pages 943-966, October.
- Piotr Fryzlewicz & Hernando Ombao, 2009. "Consistent classification of non-stationary time series using stochastic wavelet representations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25162, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Pollock & Iolanda Lo Cascio, 2005. "Orthogonality Conditions for Non-Dyadic Wavelet Analysis," Working Papers 529, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Ozun, Alper & Cifter, Atilla, 2007.
"Modeling Long-Term Memory Effect in Stock Prices: A Comparative Analysis with GPH Test and Daubechies Wavelets,"
2481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alper Ozun & Atilla Cifter, 2008. "Modeling long-term memory effect in stock prices: A comparative analysis with GPH test and Daubechies wavelets," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 38-48, March.
- Jammazi, Rania & Aloui, Chaker, 2012. "Crude oil price forecasting: Experimental evidence from wavelet decomposition and neural network modeling," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 828-841.
- Piotr Fryzlewicz & Sébastien Bellegem & Rainer Sachs, 2003. "Forecasting non-stationary time series by wavelet process modelling," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 55(4), pages 737-764, December.
- Amato, U. & Antoniadis, A. & De Feis, I., 2006. "Dimension reduction in functional regression with applications," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2422-2446, May.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Jammazi, Rania & Aloui, Chaker, 2010. "Wavelet decomposition and regime shifts: Assessing the effects of crude oil shocks on stock market returns," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1415-1435, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.