Estimating and Testing a model of Welfare Participation: The Case of Supplementary Benefits in Britain
AbstractEvidence of incomplete participation in welfare programs is often displayed. This paper analyzes how such apparent failures to participate can be explained by the presence of random errors in assessing benefit eligibility, by income underreporting, by benefit misreporting, and by participation costs. The author applies the model to the receipts of supplementary benefits in Britain. A bivariate extension of the use of generalized residuals in testing the robustness of limited-dependent-variable models is provided and fails to reject a number of the author's stochastic assumptions. Copyright 1997 by The London School of Economics and Political Science
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique in its series Papers with number 9331.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITE LAVAL, GREPE DEPARTEMENT D'ECONOMIQUE, QUEBEC G1K 7P4.
Phone: (418) 656-5122
Fax: (418) 656-2707
Web page: http://www.ecn.ulaval.ca/
More information through EDIRC
social welfare ; economic models;
Other versions of this item:
- Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1997. "Estimating and Testing a Model of Welfare Participation: The Case of Supplementary Benefits in Britain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(253), pages 81-100, February.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2003. "Benefit duration and unemployment entry: A quasi-experiment in Austria," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 259-273, April.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00607219 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2006-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00590863 is not listed on IDEAS
- Terracol, Antoine, 2009.
"Guaranteed minimum income and unemployment duration in France,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 171-182, April.
- Guyonne R. Kalb, 2000. "Labour Supply and Welfare Participation in Australian Two-Adult Households: Accounting for Involuntary Unemployment and the 'Cost' of Part-time Work," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers bp-35, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Franziska Gassmann, 2013. "Kyrgyz Republic : Minimum Living Standards and Alternative Targeting Methods for Social Transfers," World Bank Other Operational Studies 16087, The World Bank.
- Hernandez, Monica & Pudney, Stephen, 2007.
"Measurement error in models of welfare participation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 327-341, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.