Capacity, Entry and Demand Uncertainty
AbstractIn a a two period model of strategic entry deterrence (a la Dixit, 1980) where the incumbent firm moves before the entrant by installing capacity for production, in a (perfect) equilibrium excess capacity is not observed under a deterministic demand. The question whether this result remains valid under demand uncertainty is analyzed. It has been shown that the result of holding no excess capacity may not hold when there is a demand uncertainty. In connection to this, the other relevant issue that is also analyzed in this paper, is to see the impact of the distribution of demand uncertainty on uncumbent's decision, when it faces the choice to deter or accomodate the potential entrant.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research- in its series Papers with number 148.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: INDIRA GANDHI; INDIRA GANDHI INSTITUTE OF DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH, GEN.VAIDYA MARG.GOREGAON (E) BOMBAY-400 065 INDIA.
Phone: (022) 840 0919/20/21
Fax: (022) 840 2752/2026
Web page: http://www.igidr.ac.in/
More information through EDIRC
OLIGOPOLIES ; STRATEGIC PLANNING ; MARKETS STRUCTURES;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aniruddha Bagchi & Arijit Mukherjee, 2011. "Commitment and excess capacity with licensing: an old debate with a new look," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 103(2), pages 133-147, June.
- Arijit Mukherjee, 2002.
"Capacity Commitment and Licensing,"
Keele Economics Research Papers
KERP 2002/05, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.