Threshold Autoregression for Strongly Autocorrelated Time Series
AbstractIn some cases the unit root or near unit root behavior of linear autoregressive models fitted to economic time series is not in accordance with the underlying economic theory. To accommodate this feature we consider a threshold autoregressive process with the threshold effect only in the intercept term. Although these proceses are stationary, their realizations can closely resemble those of integrated processes for sample sizes relevant in many economic applications. Estimation and inference of these TAR models are discussed, and a specification test for testing their stability is derived. Testing is based on the idea that if integratedness is really caused by level shifts, the series pruged of these shifts should be stable so that known stationarity tests can be applied to this series. Simulation results indicate that in certain cases this test like several linearity tests can have low power. The proposed model is applied to interest rate data.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics in its series University of Helsinki, Department of Economics with number 489.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Helsinki; Department of Economics, P.O.Box 54 (Unioninkatu 37) FIN-00014 Helsingin Yliopisto
Phone: +358 9 191 8897
Fax: +358 9 191 8877
Web page: http://www.helsinki.fi/politiikkajatalous/
More information through EDIRC
TESTS ; MODELS ; TIME SERIES;
Other versions of this item:
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2002. "Threshold Autoregressions for Strongly Autocorrelated Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 282-89, April.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Theofanis Archontakis & Wolfgang Lemke, 2008.
"Threshold Dynamics of Short-term Interest Rates: Empirical Evidence and Implications for the Term Structure,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 37(1), pages 75-117, 02.
- Archontakis, Theofanis & Lemke, Wolfgang, 2007. "Threshold dynmamics of short-term interest rates: empirical evidence and implications for the term structure," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Anders Bredahl Kock & Timo Teräsvirta, 2010. "Forecasting with nonlinear time series models," CREATES Research Papers 2010-01, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Clive G. Bowsher & Roland Meeks, 2008. "Stationarity and the term structure of interest rates: a characterisation of stationary and unit root yield curves," Working Papers 0811, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Terence D.Agbeyegbe & Elena Goldman, 2005. "Estimation of threshold time series models using efficient jump MCMC," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College, Hunter College Department of Economics 406, Hunter College Department of Economics, revised 2005.
- Jarkko Jääskelä, 2007. "More Potent Monetary Policy? Insights from a Threshold Model," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2007-07, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Kirstin Hubrich & Timo Teräsvirta, 2013. "Thresholds and Smooth Transitions in Vector Autoregressive Models," CREATES Research Papers 2013-18, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.