How Sure are we About PPP Panel Evidence with the Null of Stationary Real Exchange Rates
AbstractThere has been serious suspicion of a spurious rejection of the unit roots in panel studies of PPP due to the failure to control cross-sectional dependence. This article presents evidence of mean-reversion in industrial country real exchange rates in a set up that accounts for cross-sectional dependence, is invariant to the benchmark currency and capable of detecting against regime changes, and actually tests for the null of interest, i.e. the purchasing power parity. Our results are based on a KPSS rest for the stationarity null generalized in multivariate random walk plus noise model by Nyblom and Harvey (1998).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics in its series University of Helsinki, Department of Economics with number 451.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Helsinki; Department of Economics, P.O.Box 54 (Unioninkatu 37) FIN-00014 Helsingin Yliopisto
Phone: +358 9 191 8897
Fax: +358 9 191 8877
Web page: http://www.helsinki.fi/politiikkajatalous/
More information through EDIRC
EXCHANGE RATE ; TIME SERIES ; ECONOMETRIC MODELS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kuo, Biing-Shen & Mikkola, Anne, 2000. "Forecasting the Real US/DEM Exchange Rate: TAR vs. AR," Research Discussion Papers 13/2000, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.