Regional Integration and Cooperation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Are Formal Trade Agreements the Right Strategy?
AbstractThis paper examines the potential for success for trade-focused regional integration agreements in sub-Saharan Africa, with a particular focus on southern Africa. The paper surveys the eexisting literature on regional integration, and attempts to distill the most relevant lessons about success and failure for the current integration initiatives in the region. It finds that there is little reason to expect significant economic gains from formal trade agreements at this time.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute for International Development in its series Papers with number 592.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CAER Project, Harvard Institute for International Development, 14 Story Street, Cambridge MA 02138O
Web page: http://www.hiid.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Diao, Xinshen, 2008.
"Exploring Growth Linkages and Market Opportunities for Agriculture in Southern Africa,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 23, pages 104-137.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Diao, Xinshen, 2006. "Exporing growth linkages and market opportunities for agriculture in Southern Africa:," DSGD discussion papers 42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Honohan, Patrick & Lane, Philip R., 2000.
"Will the Euro trigger more monetary unions in Africa?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2393, The World Bank.
- Honohan, P. & Lane, P.R., 2000. "Will the Euro Trigger More Monetary Unions in Africa?," Research Paper 176, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.