The Opium Wars, Opium Legalization, and Opium Consumption in China
AbstractThe effect of drug prohibition on drug consumption is a critical issue in debates over drug policy. One episode that provides information on the consumption-reducing effect of drug prohibition is the Chinese legalization of opium in 1858. In this paper we examine the impact of China's opium legalization on the quantity and price of British opium exports from India to China during the 19th century. We find little evidence that legalization increased exports or decreased price. Thus, the evidence suggests China's opium prohibition had a minimal impact on opium consumpton.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute of Economic Research in its series Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers with number 2072.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Chris Feige & Jeffrey Miron, 2008. "The opium wars, opium legalization and opium consumption in China," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 911-913.
- Jeffrey A. Miron & Chris Feige, 2005. "The Opium Wars, Opium Legalization, and Opium Consumption in China," NBER Working Papers 11355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K4 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior
- N4 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irigoin, Alejandra, 2013. "A 'Trojan Horse' in Daoguang China?: Explaining the flows of silver (and opium) in and out of China," MPRA Paper 43987, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.