The Impact of Computers on Productivity in the Trade Sector: Explorations with Dutch Microdata
AbstractTrends in productivity, labour, and investment in the retail and wholesale trade sectors for the Netherlands in the 1988-94 period are examined. The analysis is based on a longitudinally linked panel of firms from the annual survey of Production Statistics collected by Statistics Netherlands (CBS). We find that computer investments have a positive impact on productivity and that the productivity impact of computers is greater in retail than in wholesale trade. There are a number of possible reasons for this finding, including greater penetration of computers in wholesale trade and differences in the way computers are deployed in the two sectors. Contrary to studies in the U.S., however, the impact of computer capital is about the same as other forms of capital. Differences in empirical specifications arising from the absence of data on capital suggest some caution with respect to this conclusion. We also find increased use of "flexible" employment practices, particularly among retail firms, and these appear related to computer use. As expected the measured impacts of computers on productivity are quite sensitive to the particular deflator used for computer equipment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groningen State, Institute of Economic Research- in its series Papers with number 45.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: STATE UNIVERSITY OF GRONINGEN, FACULTY OF ECONOMICS, INSTITUTE OF ECONOMIC RESEARCH, GRONINGEN THE NETHERLANDS.
Phone: 31 50 363 3749
Fax: 31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://www.rug.nl/research/som-ri/
More information through EDIRC
COMPUTERS ; PRODUCTIVITY ; TRADE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.