An Analysis of the Title Insurance Industry
AbstractThere are numerous links, both direct and indirect, betwwen real estate markets and insurance products. One of the diract links that has been the focus of much attention recently in the US is homeowners insurance, especially in hazard prone areas. Another direct link not receiving as much attention is title insurance. This is surprising given that Fannie Mae now requires that lenders must independently verify the ratings for the title insurance firms they use with the applicable rating agency once every six months. It is the intent of this paper to provide an overview of the title insurance industry and shed new light on a product very few people truly understand. This paper present an analysis of the structure, performance and problems of the suppliers of title insurance. It also focuses on recent developments with regrads to solvency, mergers and acquisitions, entry and exit barriers, regulation, rating bureaus and competition.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques. in its series Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- with number 98-14.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canada; ECOLE DES HAUTES ETUDES COMMERCIALES(H.E.C.),3000, chemin de la Cote-Sainte-Catherine. Montreal (Quebec) Canada H3T 2A7.
Web page: http://www.hec.ca/
More information through EDIRC
REGULATION ; INSURANCE ; REAL ESTATE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benito Arruñada, 2009. "Property titling and conveyancing," Economics Working Papers 1177, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Benito ArruÃ±ada, 2007.
"Market and institutional determinants in the regulation of conveyancers,"
European Journal of Law and Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 93-116, April.
- Benito Arruñada, 2007. "Market and institutional determinants in the regulation of conveyancers," Economics Working Papers 1034, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Benito Arruñada, 2001. "The role of title insurance under recording and registration," Economics Working Papers 565, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2002.
- M. Martin Boyer & Charles M. Nyce, 2002. "Banks as Insurance Referral Agents? The Convergence of Financial Services: Evidence from the Title Insurance Industry," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-78, CIRANO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.