Euro Coins. From Design to Circulation
AbstractArticle 106 (ex 105 a) of the Treaty establishing the European Community maintains the historical tradition separating the issue of banknotes, for which the Central Bank is competent, and the issue of coins, which is the responsibility of the finance ministries. It is therefore for the European Central Bank (ECB) alone to issue or to authorise the issue of banknotes by the national central banks and for Member states to issue coins, "subject to the approval by the ECB of the volume of the issue". The Council, after consulting the ECB, is also responsible for the harmonisation of the "denominations and technical specifications of all coins intended for circulation". It is therefore competent to decide on the types of coin, their technical characteristics and their face values; the ECB's intervention is confined to controlling the quantities to be produced, as part of its task of overall supervision of the money supply.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Commission of the EEC - Euro Papers in its series Papers with number 37.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs, Commission of the European Communities, 200 rue de la Loi, 1049 Brussels, Belgium. Maintainer-Name: Thomas Krichel
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/
More information through EDIRC
CURRENCIES ; MONETARY UNION ; MONEY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.