Social Capital and Economic Development
AbstractThis paper attempts to delineate the mechanisms that link social capital and economic development. I show that social capital can produce two kinds of trust, both of which can reduce transaction costs. It is important to keep these two sources of trust apart, since development policies utilizing social capital have different impacts, depending on the basis of trust.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bergen in its series Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen with number 216.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Bergen Fosswinckels Gate 6. N-5007 Bergen, Norway
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/
More information through EDIRC
DEVELOPMENT POLICY ; ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ; CAPITAL INTENSITY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cheung, Chau-kiu & Chan, Raymond Kwok-hong, 2008. "Facilitating achievement by social capital in Japan," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2261-2277, December.
- Jesús Peiró-Palomino & Anabel Forte Deltell, 2013. "Does social capital matter for European regional growth?," Working Papers 2013/02, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Stuart, Guy, 2006. "Caste Embeddedness and Microfinance: Savings and Credit Cooperatives in Andhra Pradesh, India," Working Paper Series rwp06-037, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006. "Social Capital and Labour Productivity in Italy," Working Papers 2006.30, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2007. "Mapping Italy’s social capital," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 1, March.
- Le, Anh Tuan, 2010. "Change in Social Capital – a Case Study of Collective Rice Farming Practice in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam," MPRA Paper 25552, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006.
"The Empirics of Social Capital and Economic Development: A Critical Perspective,"
2006.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2007. "The empirics of social capital and economic development: A critical perspective," wp.comunite 0031, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Wiig, Henrik, 2003. "The Productivity of Social Capital - An Econometric Analysis of 49 Peruvian Highland Communities," Memorandum 27/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006. "Social Capital, Public Spending and the Quality of Economic Development: The Case of Italy," Working Papers 2006.14, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Sjak Smulders, 2003. "Bridging and Bonding Social Capital: which type is good for economic growth?," ERSA conference papers ersa03p517, European Regional Science Association.
- Chau-kiu Cheung & Raymond Chan, 2010. "Social Capital as Exchange: Its Contribution to Morale," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 96(2), pages 205-227, April.
- Soogwan Doh & Connie McNeely, 2012. "A multi-dimensional perspective on social capital and economic development: an exploratory analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 821-843, December.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "Social capital as social networks. A new framework for measurement," Working Papers 83, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Jesús Peiró-Palomino & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2012.
"Can trust effects on development be generalized? A response by quantile,"
2012/16, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Peiró-Palomino, Jesús & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2013. "Can trust effects on development be generalized? A response by quantile," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 377-390.
- Peiró Palomino Jesús & Tortosa-Ausina Emili, 2013. "Can Trust Effects on Development be Generalized? A Response by Quantile," Working Papers 2013128, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Petri Ruuskanen & Tomi Kankainen, 2011. "Dynamic capabilities in small and medium manufacturing firms in rural Finland â€“ role of social capital?," ERSA conference papers ersa11p806, European Regional Science Association.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "Measuring Social Capital in Italy. An Exploratory Analysis," Development and Comp Systems 0504003, EconWPA.
- Cheung, Chau-kiu & Lam, Ching-man & Ngai, Steven Sek-yum, 2008. "Help from the parent-teacher association to parenting efficacy: Beyond social status and informal social capital," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 1134-1152, June.
- Cene Bavec, 2007. "Interdependence Between Social Values and National Performance Indicators: The Case of the Enlarged European Union," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 5(3), pages 213-228.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "Social Capital, Public Spending and the Quality of Economic Development," Others 0506014, EconWPA.
- Fabio, Sabatini, 2007.
"Social capital, social enterprises, public spending and well-being in Italy
[Capitale sociale, imprese sociali, spesa pubblica e benessere sociale in Italia]," MPRA Paper 2365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "Social capital as social networks. A new framework for measurement," Others 0506013, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.