Discount Chains and Brand Policy
AbstractRetail chains are observed in many industries. The question addressed here is whether retail chains can exploit buyer power by excluding some brands. In a theoretical model with two differentiated producers and a single retailer, we show that a retailer will require exclusivity (exclude a brand) if the brands are sufficiently symmetric in demand potential.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bergen in its series Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen with number 191.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Bergen Fosswinckels Gate 6. N-5007 Bergen, Norway
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/
More information through EDIRC
INDUSTRY ; RETAIL MARKETING ; DISTRIBUTION;
Other versions of this item:
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl, 2005. "Slotting Allowances and Buy-Back Clauses," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24580, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000.
"Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt8wh900ks, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.