The Determinants of Cross-Border Bank Share holdings: an Analysis with Bank-Level Data from OECD Countries
AbstractThis paper investigates which factors determine a bank's decision to expand its activities abroad and what determines its choice of the countries to invest in. The empirical analysis is conducted using firm-level data on foreign subsidiaries for a representative sample fo nearly 2,500 OECD banks.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi in its series Papers with number 381.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Banca d'Italia-Servizio Studi-Divisione Biblioteca e Pubblicazioni - Via N azionale, 91 -00184 Rome, Italy.
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it/
More information through EDIRC
BANKS ; INVESTMENTS ; MARKET;
Other versions of this item:
- Dario Focarelli & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2000. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Bank Shareholdings; an Analysis with Bank-Level Data from OECD Countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 381, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "How does foreign entry affect the domestic banking market?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1918, The World Bank.
- Luca Dedola & Eugenio Gaiotti & Luca Silipo, 2004.
"Money Demand in theEuroArea: Do National Differences Matter?,"
0404019, EconWPA, revised 24 Apr 2004.
- Luca Dedola & Eugenio Gaiotti & Luca Silipo, 2001. "Money demand in the euro area: do national differences matter?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 405, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Jari Jumpponen & Kari Liuhto & Mart Sõrg & Vello Vensel, 2004. "Banks’ Internationalization: Estonian and Russian Banks’ Expansion to the Foreign Markets," Working Papers 109, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology.
- Petrou, Andreas, 2007. "Multinational banks from developing versus developed countries: Competing in the same arena?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 376-397, September.
- Claudia M. Buch & Gayle L. DeLong, 2001.
"Cross-Border Bank Mergers: What Lures the Rare Animal?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1070, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Buch, Claudia M. & DeLong, Gayle, 2004. "Cross-border bank mergers: What lures the rare animal?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2077-2102, September.
- Schertler, Andrea & Tykvová, Tereza, 2006. "Rivals or partners? Evidence from Europe's international private equity deals," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-91, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco & César Manuel Serra, 2003. "Más vale malo conocido: elementos de juicio sobre los costos de ingreso que encaran los bancos extranjeros," Research Department Publications 4314, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Van Horen, Neeltje, 2007. "Foreign banking in developing countries; origin matters," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 81-105, May.
- Claessens, Stijn & Van Horen, Neeltje, 2007.
"Location decisions of foreign banks and competitive advantage,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4113, The World Bank.
- Stijn Claessens & Neeltje van Horen, 2008. "Location Decisions of Foreign Banks and Institutional Competitive Advantage," DNB Working Papers 172, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco & César Manuel Serra, 2003. "Better the Devil that You Know: Evidence on Entry Costs Faced by Foreign Banks," Research Department Publications 4313, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ralph de Haas, 2006. "Monitoring Costs and Multinational-Bank Lending," DNB Working Papers 088, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo Correa, 2008. "Cross-border bank acquisitions: Is there a performance effect?," International Finance Discussion Papers 922, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jean-Paul Abraham & Peter van Dijcke, 2002. "European Financial Cross-Border Consolidation: At the crossroads in Europe? By exception, evolution or revolution?," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 22 edited by Morten Balling, March.
- Haselmann, Rainer, 2006. "Strategies of foreign banks in transition economies," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 283-299, December.
- Shen, Chung-Hua & Lin, Mei-Rong, 2011. "The determinants of cross-border consolidation in eight Asian countries: Before and after the Asian financial crisis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 89-105, April.
- Stijn Claessens & Neeltje van Horen, 2013.
"Impact of Foreign Banks,"
DNB Working Papers
370, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo Correa, 2009. "Cross-Border Bank Acquisitions: Is there a Performance Effect?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 169-197, December.
- Claudia M. Buch, 2000. "Information or Regulation: What Is Driving the International Activities of Commercial Banks?," Kiel Working Papers 1011, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2000.
"Implications of the globalization of the banking sector: the Latin American experience,"
New England Economic Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 45-62.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2000. "Implications of the globalization of the banking sector: the Latin American experience," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jun, pages 145-185.
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2001. "The patterns of cross-border bank mergers and shareholdings in OECD countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2305-2337, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.