The Seasonal Adjustment of the Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices for the Euro Area: a Comparaison of Derect and Indirect Methods
AbstractIn this paper we analyse the Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices, which plays a key role in conduct of monetary policy in the euro area. Knowledge of the characteristics of the short-term evolution of consumer prices for each country and for their average is important for better monitoring and forecasting of inflation in the euro area. In this paper we seek to verify to what extent the short-term variability of HICPs can be explained by regular infra-year movements which we then attempt to estimate. We find evidence that seasonal movements characterise most price series, though some differences arise across countries and sub-indices.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi in its series Papers with number 371.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Banca d'Italia-Servizio Studi-Divisione Biblioteca e Pubblicazioni - Via N azionale, 91 -00184 Rome, Italy.
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it/
More information through EDIRC
PRICES ; INFLATION ; SEASONAL FLUCTUATIONS;
Other versions of this item:
- Riccardo Cristadoro & Roberto Sabbatini, 2000. "The Seasonal Adjustment of the harmonised Index of Consumer Prices for the Euro Area: a Comparison of Direct and Indirect Methods," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 371, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D41 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Perfect Competition
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Meltem Gulenay Ongan, 2002. "The Seasonal Adjustment of the Consumer and Wholesale Prices : a Comparison of Census X-11, X-12 Arima and Tramo/Seats," Working Papers 0205, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.