Altruism, Voluntary Contributions and Neutrality. The Case of Environmental Quality
AbstractThis paper develops a dynamic model wherin production generates pollution that is viewed as a public bad by consumers. There are two types of consumers: those who are altruist a la Barro-Becker and leave bequests to their children and those who are pure life-cyclers. Both types of consumers voluntarily contribute to the quality of environment. It appears that if bequests by altruists and voluntary contributions by all are positive, redistribution is neutral. To achieve optimality, one needs a tax on capital to reach the optimal level of pollution and a differential subsidy on altruistic and non altruistic consumers's contributions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite Aix-Marseille III in its series G.R.E.Q.A.M. with number 96a32.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: G.R.E.Q.A.M., (GROUPE DE RECHERCHE EN ECONOMIE QUANTITATIVE D'AIX MARSEILLE), CENTRE DE VIEILLE CHARITE, 2 RUE DE LA CHARITE, 13002 MARSEILLE.
Web page: http://www.greqam.fr/
More information through EDIRC
PUBLIC GOODS; GOVERNMENT POLICY; ECONOMIC GROWTH; ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT;
Other versions of this item:
- Jouvet, Pierre-Andre & Michel, Philippe & Pestieau, Pierre, 2000. "Altruism, Voluntary Contributions and Neutrality: The Case of Environmental Quality," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(268), pages 465-75, November.
- JOUVET, Pierre André & MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1996. "Altruism, voluntary contributions and neutrality. The case of environmental quality," CORE Discussion Papers 1996067, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- JOUVET, Pierre-André & MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Altruism, voluntary contributions and neutrality: the case of environmental quality," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1484, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2007. "Environmental Tax Reform, Economic Growth, and Unemployment in an OLG Economy," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 63(1), pages 133-161, March.
- Johanna Etner & Meglena Jeleva & Pierre-André Jouvet, 2004.
"Risk Perceptions, Voluntary Contributions and Environmental Policy,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v04097, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Etner, Johanna & Jeleva, Meglena & Jouvet, Pierre-Andre, 2007. "Risk perceptions, voluntary contributions and environmental policy," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 130-139, September.
- Emeline Bezin, 2013. "The dynamics of environmental concern and the evolution of pollution," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 13-09, INRA UMR SMART.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André, 1998.
"Voluntary contributions with uncertainty: the environmental quality,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1998020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre-Andr� Jouvet, 1998. "Voluntary Contributions with Uncertainty: The Environmental Quality," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 151-165, December.
- Jouvet, P.-A., 1995. "Voluntary Contributions with Uncertainty: the Environmental Quality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a30, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Eric Bettinger & Robert Slonim, 2006.
"Using experimental economics to measure the effects of a natural educational experiment on altruism,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00008, The Field Experiments Website.
- Bettinger, Eric & Slonim, Robert, 2006. "Using experimental economics to measure the effects of a natural educational experiment on altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1625-1648, September.
- Eric Bettinger & Robert Slonim, 2005. "Using Experimental Economics to Measure the Effects of a Natural Educational Experiment on Altruism," NBER Working Papers 11725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mouez Fodha, 2009. "Protection mixte de l'environnement et externalités intergénérationnelles," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 60(3), pages 843-852.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2009. "The political economy of environmental and social security policies: the role of environmental lobbying," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 261-296, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.