The "Pathology" Of The Natural Conjugate Prior Density In The Regression Model
AbstractIn a Bayesian analysis of the linear regression model, one may have prior information on the error variance. If one incorporates this kind of information in a natural conjugate prior density, under certain conditions the posterior mean of the coefficients on which one is informative is equal to a constrained least squares estimator. The value of the posterior covariance matrix is also studied. We discuss and illustrate how to avoid getting posterior results too close to the âpathologicalâ results summarized above.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite Aix-Marseille III in its series G.R.E.Q.A.M. with number 90a14.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: G.R.E.Q.A.M., (GROUPE DE RECHERCHE EN ECONOMIE QUANTITATIVE D'AIX MARSEILLE), CENTRE DE VIEILLE CHARITE, 2 RUE DE LA CHARITE, 13002 MARSEILLE.
Web page: http://www.greqam.fr/
More information through EDIRC
regression analysis ; linear models ; econometrics;
Other versions of this item:
- Luc BAUWENS, 1991. "The 'pathology' of the Natural Conjugate Prior Density in the Regression Model," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 23, pages 49-64.
- BAUWENS, Luc, . "The "pathology" of the natural conjugate prior density in the regression model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -962, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998.
"Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging,"
9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Carmen Fernandez & E Ley & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian models averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, . "Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging," Working Papers 98-06, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.