External Debt and Economic Growth in Sub-SAharan African Countries: an Econometric Study
AbstractThis econometric study takes a simulation approach to investigate the impact of external debt on economic growth in sub-Saharan African countries using a small macroeconomic model estimated for 1970-1994. An important finding was the significance of debt overhang variables in the investment equation, suggesting that mounting external debt depresses investment through both a "disincentive" effect and a "crowding out" effect.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by African Economic Research Consortium in its series Papers with number 90.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: African Economic Research Consortum, P.O. Box 62882, Nairobi, Kenya
Phone: (254-2) 228057
Fax: (254-2) 219308
Web page: http://www.aercafrica.org/
More information through EDIRC
ECONOMETRICS ; ECONOMIC GROWTH ; DEBT ; AFRICA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Siti Daud & Jan Podivinsky, 2011. "Debt–Growth Nexus: A Spatial Econometrics Approach for Developing Countries," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 1-15, September.
- Hadhek Zouhaier & Mrad Fatma, 2014. "Debt and Economic Growth," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 4(2), pages 440-448.
- Idlemouden, Khadija & Raffinot, Marc, 2005. "Le fardeau virtuel de la dette extérieure. Une revue de la littérature à l'aune de l'initiative « pays pauvres très endettés » (PPTE)," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4089, Paris Dauphine University.
- AL-Adayleh, Radi & AL-amro, Hassan & AL-Gralleh, Huthaifa, 2014.
"هيكل الدين العام في الأردن وتأثيره على النمو الاقتصادي (1980 - 2012)
[The structure of public debt in Jordan and its impact on economic growth (1980-20," MPRA Paper 56271, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.