The Impact of Uruguay’s 2007 Tax Reform on Equity and Efficiency
AbstractIn 2007, the Uruguayan government implemented a new tax reform which introduced a new progressive labour income tax, a flat capital income tax, and reduced some indirect taxes, with the objective of improving fiscal balance, income distribution and economic growth. This paper presents an evaluation of the impact of such tax reform on equity and efficiency on the basis of data derived from the Encuesta Continua de Hogares (ECH) for the years 2006 and 2009. Using a Difference-in-Differences technique, the paper shows that the new tax system lowered inequality by 2 Gini points without producing any discernible disincentive effect. These results contrast with the conclusions of supply side-economics and suggest that suitably designed reforms of direct taxation can simultaneously achieve the goals of equity and efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa in its series Working Papers - Economics with number wp2012_06.rdf.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Tax reform; tax incidence; income distribution; efficiency; matching estimators;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2012-04-03 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2012-04-03 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2012-04-03 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:rie:review:v:14:y:2009:i:1:n:8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2012.
"The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(565), pages 1244-1261, December.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2009. "The evolution of ideology, fairness and redistribution," Working Papers 2009_29, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2012. "The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution," Working Papers 2012_05, Durham University Business School.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2009. "The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution," Working Papers 2009_05, Durham University Business School.
- Alberto F. Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2009. "The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution," NBER Working Papers 15587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amarante, Veronica & Vigorito, Andrea, 2011. "Uruguayâ..s Income Inequality and Political Regimes during 1981â..2010," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel B. Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2009.
"The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review,"
NBER Working Papers
15012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2012. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 50(1), pages 3-50, March.
- World Bank, 2008. "Uruguay : Poverty and Social Impact Assessment of the Tax Reform," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7890, The World Bank.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Martorano, Bruno, 2011.
"A New Fiscal Pact, Tax Policy Changes and Income Inequality,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Juan Carlos Gómez-Sabaini & Bruno Martorano, 2012. "A New Fiscal Pact, Tax Policy Changes and Income Inequality," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_03.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2007.
"Equal Sacrifice and Fair Burden Sharing in a Public Goods Economy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1997, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2008. "Equal sacrifice and fair burden-sharing in a public goods economy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 415-429, August.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Calvin Blackwell, 2007. "A Meta-Analysis of Tax Compliance Experiments," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0724, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Cecilia Llambi & Silvia Laens & Marcelo Perera & Mery Ferrando, 2011. "Assessing the Impact of the 2007 Tax Reform on Povert and Inequality in Uruguay," Working Papers PMMA 2011-14, PEP-PMMA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giorgio Ricchiuti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.