Euro or “Teuro”?: The Euro-induced Perceived Inflation in Germany
AbstractAfter the introduction of the euro notes and coins in January 2002, throughout the Economic and Monetary Union member countries there was a widespread feeling that the euro had brought about a significant hike in consumer prices. A substantial discrepancy was evident between inflation as measured by the official consumer price indices (CPI) and the one perceived by the general public. In this paper the German case is treated. First, a short overview is given on the public discussions and the many studies published by the German Federal Statistical Office. Then a newly developed theory of inflation perception is outlined and a corresponding index of perceived inflation (IPI) is developed. This index has been calculated for Germany. In the main part of the paper, the results are presented. The IPI time series for Germany from 1996 through 2006 clearly show a special inflation around the introduction of the Euro notes and coins. During that period, the average perceived inflation was approximately 4 times higher than the official inflation rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland in its series DQE Working Papers with number 5.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 17 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
perceived inflation; price index; prospect theory; euro cash changeover;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2006-07-21 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2006-07-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2006-07-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2006-07-21 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Bruce G. S. Hardie & Eric J. Johnson & Peter S. Fader, 1993. "Modeling Loss Aversion and Reference Dependence Effects on Brand Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(4), pages 378-394.
- Paolo Del Giovane & Roberto Sabbatini, 2006. "Perceived and Measured Inflation after the Launch of the Euro: Explaining the Gap in Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 65(2), pages 155-192, November.
- Wunder, Christoph & Schwarze, Johannes & Krug, Gerhard & Herzog, Bodo, 2008.
"Welfare effects of the euro cash changeover,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 571-586, September.
- Christoph Wunder & Johannes Schwarze & Gerhard Krug & Bodo Herzog, 2006. "Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 646, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Wunder, Christoph & Schwarze, Johannes & Krug, Gerhard & Herzog, Bodo, 2006. "Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover," IZA Discussion Papers 2508, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael J. Lamla & Sarah M. Lein, 2010. "The Euro Cash Changeover, Inflation Perceptions and the Media," KOF Working papers 10-254, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Svatopluk Kapounek & Lubor Lacina, 2011. "Inflation Perceptions and Anticipations in the Old Eurozone Member States," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(2), pages 120-139.
- Sarah M. Lein & Thomas Maag, 2008.
"The Formation of Inflation Perceptions – Some Empirical Facts for European Countries,"
KOF Working papers
08-204, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Sarah M. Lein & Thomas Maag, 2011. "The Formation Of Inflation Perceptions: Some Empirical Facts For European Countries," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 58(2), pages 155-188, 05.
- Thomas A. Eife & W. Timothy Coombs, 2006.
"Coping with People’s Inflation Perceptions During a Currency Changeover,"
0435, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Thomas A. Eife & W. Timothy Coombs, 2007. "Coping with People's Inflation Perceptions during a Currency Changeover," Working Papers 0458, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
- Helmut Jungermann & Hans Brachinger & Julia Belting & Katarzyna Grinberg & Elisabeth Zacharias, 2007. "The Euro Changeover and the Factors Influencing Perceived Inflation," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 405-419, December.
- Vivian Dzokoto & Edwin Mensah & Maxwell Twum-Asante & Annabella Opare-Henaku, 2010. "Deceiving Our Minds: A Qualitative Exploration of the Money Illusion in Post-redenomination Ghana," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 339-353, December.
- Roland Döhrn & Christoph M. Schmidt & Tobias Zimmermann, 2008. "Inflation Forecasting with Inflation Sentiment Indicators," Ruhr Economic Papers 0080, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Lena Dräger & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, . "Perceived Inflation under Loss Aversion," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 201105, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Brachinger, Hans Wolfgang, 2008. "A new index of perceived inflation: Assumptions, method, and application to Germany," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 433-457, August.
- Henry Sabrowski, 2008. "Inflation Expectation Formation of German Consumers: Rational or Adaptive?," Working Paper Series in Economics 100, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Cristian Badarinza & Marco Gross, 2012. "Information flows and disagreement," Working Paper Series 1475, European Central Bank.
- Lena Vogel & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, 2009. "Prospect Theory and Inflation Perceptions - An Empirical Assessment," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200903, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Beer).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.