Economic incentives and comparative advantage in Indonesian food crop production:
AbstractIn Indonesia production of food crops grew an impressive 4.3 percent a year between 1978 and 1988, largely as a result of favorable government pricing, research, and investment policies toward rice and other crops. In recent years, however, the high costs of subsidies to the government and the increasing competition for scarce resources among commodities have caused Indonesian policymakers to take a fresh look at these policies in order to determine what is needed in a changing economic environment. What policies should the government pursue for rice and other major food crops? Should the government provide incentives or investments to promote rice as an export crop? What have been the effects of government policies on the international competitiveness of other commodities such as corn or cassava? Is there a continuing role for large input subsidies, or should these subsidies be eliminated? What investments are appropriate in the food crop sector? The report examines trends in the government policies and production of five major food crops (rice, corn, soybeans, sugar, and cassava) in Indonesia; analyzes the effects of government input-output pricing policies on domestic production incentives for these food crops; and assesses their relative comparative advantage under the three trade regimes of import substitution, interregional trade, and export promotion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series Research reports with number 93.
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Agricultural policy Indonesia.; Produce trade Government policy Indonesia.; Food crops Economic aspects Indonesia.; Food production Economic aspects Indonesia.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas, Marcelle & Orden, David, 2004. "Agricultural policies in Indonesia," MTID discussion papers 78, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Thiele, Rainer, 1994. "Conserving tropical rain forests in Indonesia: a CGE analysis of alternative policies," Kiel Working Papers 621, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Morrison, Jamie & Urey, Ian, 2004.
"A Policy Agenda for Pro-Poor Agricultural Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-89, January.
- Itty, P., 1996. "Profitability, efficiency and comparative advantage of African cattle meat and milk production: the case of trypanotolerant village cattle production," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 33-44, April.
- Kirsten, Johann F. & Ohene-Anyang, E. & van Rooyen, Johan, 1998. "An Analysis Of The Comparative Advantage And Policy Incentives Of Commercial Wheat Production In South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 37(4), December.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2011.
"Agriculture and development : a brief review of the literature,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5553, The World Bank.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2012. "Agriculture and development: A brief review of the literature," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 175-205.
- Waqar Akhtar & Muhammad Sharif & Nadeem Akmal, 2007. "Analysis of Economic Efficiency and Competitiveness of the Rice Production Systems of Pakistan’s Punjab," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 12(1), pages 141-153, Jan-Jun.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Kasryno, Faisal & Perez, Nicostrato D., 1998. "Output response to prices and public investment in agriculture: Indonesian food crops," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Bautista, Romeo M. & San, Nu Nu, 1998. "Modeling the price competitiveness of Indonesian crops," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 425-443.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.