Efficiency and distribution in contract farming: the case of Indian poultry growers
Abstract"This paper is an empirical analysis of the gains from contract farming in the case of poultry production in the state of Andhra Pradesh in India. The paper finds that contract production is more efficient than noncontract production. The efficiency surplus is largely appropriated by the processor. Despite this, contract growers still gain appreciably from contracting in terms of lower risk and higher expected returns. Improved technology and production practices as well as the way in which the processor selects growers are what make these outcomes possible. In terms of observed and unobserved characteristics, contract growers have relatively poor prospects as independent growers. With contract production, these growers achieve incomes comparable to that of independent growers." Authors' Abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series MTID discussion papers with number 91.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contract farming; Poultry; Vertical integration;
Other versions of this item:
- Bharat Ramaswami & Pratap Singh Birthal & P.K. Joshi, 2005. "Efficiency and distribution in contract farming:The case of Indian poultry growers," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 05-01, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-10-14 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2006-10-14 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2006-10-14 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Minot, Nicholas, 1986. "Contract Farming and Its Effect on Small Farmers in Less Developed Countries," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54740, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Glover, David J., 1987. "Increasing the benefits to smallholders from contract farming: Problems for farmers' organizations and policy makers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 441-448, April.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1985. "A Theory of Contractual Structure in Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 352-67, June.
- Warning, Matthew & Key, Nigel, 2002. "The Social Performance and Distributional Consequences of Contract Farming: An Equilibrium Analysis of the Arachide de Bouche Program in Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 255-263, February.
- Key, Nigel & Runsten, David, 1999. "Contract Farming, Smallholders, and Rural Development in Latin America: The Organization of Agroprocessing Firms and the Scale of Outgrower Production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 381-401, February.
- Birthal, Pratap Singh & Jha, Awadhesh K. & Singh, Harvinder, 2007. "Linking Farmers to Markets for High-Value Agricultural Commodities," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 20(2007).
- Mehta, Rajesh & Narrod, Clare & Tiongco, Marites, 2008. "Livestock industrialization, trade and social-health-environment impacts in developing countries: a case of Indian poultry sector," MPRA Paper 32678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Jha, Awadhesh K. & Tiongco, Marites & Narrod, Clare, 2008. "Improving farm-to-market linkages through contract farming: A case study of smallholder dairying in India," IFPRI discussion papers 814, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- LEFÈVRE, Mélanie & THARAKAN, Joe & ,, 2013.
"Intermediaries, transport costs and interlinked transactions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2013055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lefèvre, Mélanie & Tharakan, Joe, 2011. "Intermediaries, transport costs and interlinked transactions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8615, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sudha Narayanan, 2012. "Safe gambles? Farmer perceptions of transactional certainty and risk-return tradeoffs in contract farming schemes in Southern India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-021, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Saigenji, Yoshiko & Zeller, Manfred, 2009. "Effect of contract farming on productivity and income of small holders: The case of tea production in north-western Vietnam," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51681, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.