A review of collective action in rural Ghana
AbstractWith the beginning of the new millennium and the increasing concerns with regard to wild privatization reforms, African governments, international donors and development scholars have been showing renewed interest in collective action. As a result, farmer-based organization (FBOs) and agricultural cooperatives (agri–coops) are back on the policy agenda for Africa as a preferential means to achieve a more equitable, inclusive and community-driven development of rural areas. The objective of this paper is to provide a snapshot of the patterns and determinants in the development of FBOs and agri–coops in Ghana. With the intention to fill knowledge gaps, harmonize perceptions, update and broaden public understanding of FBOs and agri–coops in Ghana, this review compiles and compares as much secondary evidence as possible and fills in missing evidence through focus group discussions and key informant interviews. The paper concludes with some implications for policy-making and for further and more empirical research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 998.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
agricultural cooperatives; Collective action; farmer-based organizations; reviews;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-07-31 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-07-31 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesconi, Gian Nicola & Ruben, Ruerd, 2008. "The Life Cycle of Agricultural Cooperatives: Implications for Management and Governance in Ethiopia," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 36(2).
- Bernard, Tanguy & Spielman, David J., 2009. "Reaching the rural poor through rural producer organizations? A study of agricultural marketing cooperatives in Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 60-69, February.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Imperfect Information and Rural Credit Markets--Puzzles and Policy Perspectives," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 235-50, September.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Collion, Marie-Hélène & de Janvry, Alain & Rondot, Pierre & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2008. "Do Village Organizations Make a Difference in African Rural Development? A Study for Senegal and Burkina Faso," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2188-2204, November.
- Varughese, George & Ostrom, Elinor, 2001. "The Contested Role of Heterogeneity in Collective Action: Some Evidence from Community Forestry in Nepal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 747-765, May.
- Tanguy Bernard & Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse & Eleni Gabre-Madhin, 2008. "Impact of cooperatives on smallholders' commercialization behavior: evidence from Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 147-161, 09.
- Durkheim, Emile, 1897. "De la division du travail social," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 2, number durkheim.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Kostas Karantininis & Angelo Zago, 2001. "Endogenous Membership in Mixed Duopsonies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1266-1272.
- Hussi, P. & Murphy, J. & Lindberg, O. & Brenneman, L., 1993. "The Development of Cooperatives and Other Rural Organizations: The Role of the World Bank," Papers 199, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Onumah, Gideon & Davis, Junior & Kleih, Ulrich & Proctor, Felicity, 2007. "Empowering Smallholder Farmers in Markets: Changing agricultural marketing systems and innovative responses by producer organizations," MPRA Paper 25984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ragasa, Catherine & Golan, Jennifer, 2012.
"The role of rural producer organizations for agricultural service provision in fragile states:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1235, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ragasa, Catherine & Golan, Jennifer, 2012. "The Role of Rural Producer Organizations for Agricultural Service Provision in Fragile States," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124657, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Adong, Annet & Mwaura, Francis & Okoboi, Geofrey, 2012. "What factors determine membership to farmer groups in Uganda? Evidence from the Uganda Census of Agriculture 2008/9," Research Series 148950, Economic Policy Research Centre (EPRC).
- Salifu, Adam & Funk, Rebecca Lee & Keefe, Meagan & Kolavalli, Shashidhara, 2012. "Farmer based organizations in Ghana:," GSSP working papers 31, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Francesconi, Gian Nicola & Wouterse, Fleur, 2011. "The renewed case for farmers' cooperatives: Diagnostics and implications from Ghana," IFPRI discussion papers 1129, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.