Womenâ€™s empowerment in agriculture: What role for food security in Bangladesh?:
AbstractUsing nationally representative survey data from Bangladesh, we examine the relationship between womenâ€™s empowerment in agriculture and two measures of household food security: per adult equivalent calorie availability and dietary diversity. We use the Womenâ€™s Empowerment in Agriculture Index to assess the extent of womenâ€™s empowerment in agriculture and instrumental variables techniques to correct for the potential endogeneity of empowerment. We find that the overall womenâ€™s empowerment score, the number of groups in which women actively participate, womenâ€™s control of assets, and a narrowing gap in empowerment between men and women within households are positively associated with calorie availability and dietary diversity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 1297.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Gender; Women; food security; Agriculture; Nutrition; Nutritional status;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rashid, Dewan Arif & Smith, Lisa C. & Rahman, Tauhidur, 2006.
"Determinants of Dietary Quality: Evidence from Bangladesh,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21326, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rashid, Dewan Arif & Smith, Lisa C. & Rahman, Tauhidur, 2011. "Determinants of Dietary Quality: Evidence from Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2221-2231.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Cheryl Doss, 2006. "The Effects of Intrahousehold Property Ownership on Expenditure Patterns in Ghana," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(1), pages 149-180, March.
- Quisumbing, A.R., 1991.
"Intergenerational Transfers in Philippine Rice Villages: Gender Differences in Traditional Inheritance Customs,"
632, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R., 1994. "Intergenerational transfers in Philippine rice villages : Gender differences in traditional inheritance customs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 167-195, April.
- Agnes Quisumbing & Neha Kumar, 2011.
"Does social capital build women's assets? The long-term impacts of group-based and individual dissemination of agricultural technology in Bangladesh,"
Journal of Development Effectiveness,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 220-242.
- Kumar, Neha & Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2010. "Does social capital build women's assets?: The long-term impacts of group-based and individual dissemination of agricultural technology in Bangladesh," CAPRi working papers 97, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Peterman, Amber & Behrman, Julia & Quisumbing, Agnes, 2010. "A review of empirical evidence on gender differences in nonland agricultural inputs, technology, and services in developing countries," IFPRI discussion papers 975, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2005. "PROGRESA and its impacts on the welfare of rural households in Mexico:," Research reports 139, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hoddinott, John & Haddad, Lawrence, 1995. "Does Female Income Share Influence Household Expenditures? Evidence from Cote d'Ivoire," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 77-96, February.
- Kilic, Talip & Palacios-Lopez, Amparo & Goldstein, Markus, 2013. "Caught in a productivity trap: a distributional perspective on gender differences in Malawian agriculture," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6381, The World Bank.
- Carmen Deere & Abena Oduro & Hema Swaminathan & Cheryl Doss, 2013. "Property rights and the gender distribution of wealth in Ecuador, Ghana and India," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 249-265, June.
- Alkire, Sabina & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Peterman, Amber & Quisumbing, Agnes & Seymour, Greg & Vaz, Ana, 2013.
"The Women’s Empowerment in Agriculture Index,"
Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 71-91.
- Alderman, Harold, et al, 1995. "Unitary versus Collective Models of the Household: Is It Time to Shift the Burden of Proof?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 10(1), pages 1-19, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.