Branding and agricultural value chains in developing countries: insights from Bihar, India:
AbstractLocal brands are rapidly gaining agricultural market share in developing countries. However, it is not well understood how they reshape agricultural value chains and what the implications are for consumers and producers. In a detailed case study of the value chain of makhana in Bihar, we see the fast emergence â€”a doubling over five yearsâ€”of more expensive packed and branded products. The effect on consumers is ambiguous. While the emergence of brands leads to increasing differentiation in retail markets, the brands in these settings provide mostly incomplete or misleading information for the consumer, and the quality of products contained in branded bags is often lower than for loose products. We also find that farmers realize few direct benefits from the presence of these brands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 1207.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
value chain; Branding; Consumer behavior.; Consumer preferences;
Other versions of this item:
- Minten, Bart & Singh, K.M. & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2013. "Branding and agricultural value chains in developing countries: Insights from Bihar (India)," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 23-34.
- NEP-AGR-2012-12-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-12-15 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Jo, 2006.
"Trade, standards and poverty: Evidence from Senegal,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/120482, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Jo, 2009. "Trade, standards and poverty: Evidence from Senegal," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/203086, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," LICOS Discussion Papers 17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ramaswami Bharat & Murugkar Milind & Shelar Mahesh, 2009. "Product Proliferation in India's Cotton Seed Market: Are There Too Many Varieties?," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Ronald W. Ward & Julio Chang & Stan Thompson, 1985. "Commodity advertising: Theoretical issues relating to generic and brand promotions," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(4), pages 269-276.
- Claude Ménard & Peter G. Klein, 2004. "Organizational Issues in the Agrifood Sector: Toward a Comparative Approach," Industrial Organization 0401005, EconWPA.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009.
"Market Power and Rents in Global Supply Chains,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
53213, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Swinnen, Jo & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2010. "Market power and rents in global supply chains," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/262760, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Bergès-Sennou Fabian & Bontems Philippe & Réquillart Vincent, 2004. "Economics of Private Labels: A Survey of Literature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Narrod, Clare A. & Tiongco, Marites M. & Barros, Geraldo Sant'Ana de Camargo & Catelo, Maria Angeles & Costales, Achilles & Mehta, Rajesh & Naranong, Viroj & Poapongsakorn, N, 2008. "Determinants and implications of the growing scale of livestock farms in four fast-growing developing countries:," Research reports 157, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Claude Ménard & Peter G. Klein, 2004. "Organizational Issues in the Agrifood Sector: Toward a Comparative Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 750-755.
- N. Lalitha & Carl E. Pray & Bharat Ramaswami, 2008. "The Limits of intellectual property rights: Lessons from the spread of illegal transgenic seeds in India," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-06, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.