Estimating yield of food crops grown by smallholder farmers: A review in the Uganda context
AbstractPrecise agricultural statistics are essential for planning and evaluation of agricultural investments to improve the productivity and profitability of smallholder farming systems. However, accurately estimating crop yields is never easy and is even more of a challenge in the context of African farming systems that are characterized by smallholder farms that produce a wide range of diverse crops. With specific reference to yield estimation for food crops under smallholder farming conditions in Uganda, this paper evaluates the various methods that are available to estimate crop production and cropped area in such farming systems. A description and summary tables from a database of estimated crop yields in Uganda that was collated from a large set of field studies over past decades are also provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 1097.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
agricultural statistics; crop yield; Data Collection; smallholder farming;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2011-08-02 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2011-08-02 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Groote, Hugo & Traore, Oumar, 2005. "The cost of accuracy in crop area estimation," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 21-38, April.
- Kelly, Valerie A. & Hopkins, Jane & Reardon, Thomas & Crawford, Eric W., 1995.
"Improving the Measurement and Analysis of African Agricultural Productivity: Promoting Complementarities between Micro and Macro Data,"
Food Security International Development Policy Syntheses
11375, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Kelly, Valerie A. & Hopkins, Jane & Reardon, Thomas & Crawford, Eric W., 1995. "Improving the Measurement and Analysis of African Agricultural Productivity: Promoting Complementarities between Micro and Macro Data," Food Security International Development Papers 54055, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Howard, Julie A. & Jeje, Jose Jaime & Tschirley, David L. & Strasberg, Paul J. & Crawford, Eric W. & Weber, Michael T., 1998. "What Makes Agricultural Intensification Profitable for Mozambican Smallholders? An Appraisal of the Inputs Subsector and the 1996/97 DNER/SG2000 Program," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54680, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Erenstein, Olaf & Malik, R.K. & Singh, Sher, 2007. "Adoption and Impacts of Zero-Tillage in the Rice-Wheat Zone of Irrigated Haryana, India," Impact Studies 56092, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Farooq, Umar & Sharif, Muhammad & Erenstein, Olaf, 2007. "Adoption and Impacts of Zero-Tillage in the Rice-Wheat Zone of Irrigated Punjab, Pakistan," Impact Studies 56095, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- de Brauw, Alan & Gilligan, Daniel, 2011. "Using the regression discontinuity design with implicit partitions: The impacts of comunidades solidarias rurales on schooling in El Salvador," IFPRI discussion papers 1116, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Zambrano, Patricia & Maldonado, Jorge H. & Mendoza, Sandra L. & Ruiz, Lorena & Fonseca, Luz Amparo & Cardona, Iván, 2011. "Women cotton farmers: Their perceptions and experiences with transgenic varieties: A case study for Colombia," IFPRI discussion papers 1118, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Beegle, Kathleen & Carletto, Calogero & Himelein, Kristen, 2011.
"Reliability of recall in agricultural data,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5671, The World Bank.
- Cai, Ximing & Yang, Yi-Chen E. & Zhao, Jianshi & Ringler, Claudia, 2011. "Can water allocation in the Yellow River basin be improved?: Insights from a multi-agent system model," IFPRI discussion papers 1117, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Prasad, Sanjay K. & Pullabhotla, Hemant & Ganesh-Kumar, A., 2011. "Supply and demand for cereals in Nepal, 2010–2030:," IFPRI discussion papers 1120, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Al-Feel, Mohamed Ahmed & Abdullah, Seram Kamal Mohamed, 2013. "The Impact of Plot-Size on the Estimation of Wheat Yield in Sudan: The Case of New-Halfa Agricultural Scheme," Agricultural Economics Working Paper Series 152828, University of Khartoum, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Carletto, Calogero & Gourlay, Sydney & Winters, Paul, 2013. "From guesstimates to GPStimates : land area measurement and implications for agricultural analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6550, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.