Rural finance for food security for the poor
AbstractIn this Food Policy Review, the authors take a fresh look at the role of rural financial policy in improving household food security and alleviating poverty. They develop a conceptual framework for relating access to financial services to food security and review empirical findings on household demand for financial services. They explore the potentials for linking informal lenders (relatives, credit groups, and moneylenders) with the formal financial systems (banks and cooperatives). Then they review the constraints to development of rural financial markets and ways to circumvent these constraints by examining innovative institutions, especially those that include participation by the poor themselves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series Food policy reviews with number 4.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Financial institutions. ; Rural credit Developing countries. ; Rural poor. ; Food security Household. ; Poverty alleviation. ; Community participation. ; Microfinance ;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nissanke, Machiko, 2002. "Donors' Support for Microcredit as Social Enterprise: A Critial Reappraisal," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Zeller, Manfred & Ahmed, Akhter U. & Babu, Suresh Chandra & Broca, Sumiter S. & Diagne, Aliou & Sharma, Manohar, 1996. "Rural finance policies for food security of the poor," FCND discussion papers 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Paul Mosley & June Rock, 2004. "Microfinance, labour markets and poverty in Africa: a study of six institutions," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 467-500.
- Thitiwan Sricharoen & Gertrud Buchenrieder & Thomas Dufhues, 2008. "Universal health-care demands in rural Northern Thailand: gender and ethnicity," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, June.
- Moepeng, Pelotshweu T. & Tisdell, Clement A., 2008. "The Socio-Economic Situation of Female Heads and Poor Heads of Households in Rural Botswana: A Village Case Study," Social Economics, Policy and Development Working Papers 123544, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Franz Heidues & Junior R. Davis & Gertrud Schrieder, 1997.
"Agricultural Transformation and Implications for Designing Rural Financial Policies in Romania,"
CERT Discussion Papers
9722, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Heidhues, Franz & Davis, Junior R & Schrieder, Gertrud, 1998. "Agricultural Transformation and Implications for Designing Rural Financial Policies in Romania," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 351-72.
- Allen Blackman, 2001.
"Why don't Lenders Finance High-Return Technological Change in Developing-Country Agriculture?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1024-1035.
- Blackman, Allen, 2001. "Why Don't Lenders Finance High-Return Technological Change in Developing-Country Agriculture?," Discussion Papers dp-01-17, Resources For the Future.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2003.
"Rural Poverty Dynamics: Development Policy Implications,"
127243, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 2005. "Rural poverty dynamics: development policy implications," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 45-60, 01.
- von Braun, Joachim & Teklu, Tesfaye & Webb, Patrick (ed.), 1999. "Famine in Africa: Causes, responses, and prevention," IFPRI books, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), number 0-8018-6121-7.
- Lucas Bretschger & Nujin Suphaphiphat, 2012.
"Use Less, Pay More: Can Climate Policy Address the Unfortunate Event for Being Poor?,"
CEEES Paper Series
CE3S-04/12, European University at St. Petersburg, Department of Economics.
- Lucas Bretschger & Nujin Suphaphiphat, 2012. "Use Less, Pay More: Can Climate Policy Address the Unfortunate Event for Being Poor?," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 12/166, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Richard L Meyer, 2009. "Track Record of Financial Institutions in Assisting the Poor in Asia," Working Papers id:2284, eSocialSciences.
- Richard L. Meyer, 2002. "The demand for flexible microfinance products: lessons from Bangladesh," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 351-368.
- Lapenu, Cécile, 2000. "The role of the state in promoting microfinance institutions," FCND discussion papers 89, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Appelbaum, Elie & Katz, Eliakim, 1991. "The Demand for Children in the Absence of Capital and Risk Markets: A Portfolio Approach," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(2), pages 292-304, April.
- Akram, Waqar & Hussain, Zakir, 2008. "Agricultural credit constraints and borrowing behavior of farmers in rural Punjab," MPRA Paper 31531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nyemeck, J.B. & Gockowski, James & Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2008. "The Role of Credit Access in Improving Cocoa Production in West African Countries," 2007 Second International Conference, August 20-22, 2007, Accra, Ghana 52095, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Imran Matin & David Hulme & Stuart Rutherford, 2002. "Finance for the poor: from microcredit to microfinancial services," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 273-294.
- Romer Lovendal, Christian & Knowles, Marco, 2006. "Tomorrow's Hunger: A Framework for Analysing Vulnerability to Food Security," Working Paper Series RP2006/119, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Diagne, Aliou & Zeller, Manfred, 2001. "Access to credit and its impact on welfare in Malawi:," Research reports 116, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- G. Schrieder & F. Heidhues, 1997. "Access Constraints of Romanian Peasants in Relation to the Formal Financial Sector," CERT Discussion Papers 9712, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Xiangping Jia & Franz Heidhues & Manfred Zeller, 2010. "Credit rationing of rural households in China," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(1), pages 37-54, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.