Is dietary diversity an indicator of food security or dietary quality?
AbstractAlthough dietary diversity is universally recognized as a key component of healthy diets, there is still a lack of consensus on how to measure and operationalize it. This paper focuses on the issues of dietary diversity in developing countries. It also draws upon experience from developed countries to address the following questions: 1. How is dietary diversity conceptualized, operationalized, and measured, and how does it relate operationally to dietary quality? 2. Is there an association between dietary diversity and nutrient adequacy in developing countries? Between dietary diversity and child growth? 3. What is the relationship between household-level dietary diversity and socioeconomic factors and food security? 4. What key measurement issues need to be addressed to better operationalize and understand dietary diversity?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series FCND discussion papers with number 140.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Diet Developing countries ; Growth ; Children Developing countries Nutrition ;
Other versions of this item:
- Ruel, Marie T., 2002. "Is dietary diversity an indicator of food security or dietary quality?," FCND briefs 140, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoddinott, John & Yohannes, Yisehac, 2002.
"Dietary diversity as a food security indicator,"
136, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bouis, Howarth E., 1994. "Agricultural technology and food policy to combat iron deficiency in developing countries," FCND discussion papers 1, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Asfaw, Abay, 2007. "Micronutrient deficiency and the prevalence of mothers' overweight/obesity in Egypt," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 471-483, December.
- Rashid, Dewan Arif & Smith, Lisa C. & Rahman, Tauhidur, 2011.
"Determinants of Dietary Quality: Evidence from Bangladesh,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2221-2231.
- Rashid, Dewan Arif & Smith, Lisa C. & Rahman, Tauhidur, 2006. "Determinants of Dietary Quality: Evidence from Bangladesh," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21326, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Francesco Burchi & Pasquale De Muro, 2012. "A Human Development and Capability Approach to Food Security: Conceptual Framework and Informational Basis," Working Papers 2012-009, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa (UNDP/RBA).
- repec:fsc:fspubl:13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kuku, Oluyemisi & Mathiassen, Astrid & Wadhwa, Amit & Myles, Lucy & Ajibola, Akeem, 2013. "Comprehensive food security and vulnerability analysis: Nigeria:," IFPRI discussion papers 1275, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Smale, Melinda & Moursi, Mourad & Birol, Ekin & De Groote, Hugo, 2013. "Hybrid seed use and diversity of diets among women in smallholder maize: Growing households in Zambia," HarvestPlus Working Papers 12, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mauro Migotto & Benjamin Davis & Gero Carletto & Kathleen Beegle, 2005.
"Measuring Food Security Using Respondents’ Perception of Food Consumption Adequacy,"
05-10, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Migotto, Mauro & Davis, Benjamin & Carletto, Gero & Beegle, Kathleen, 2006. "Measuring Food Security Using Respondents' Perception of Food Consumption Adequacy," Working Paper Series RP2006/88, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Goshu, Degye & Kassa, Belay & Ketema, Mengistu, 2013. "Is food security enhanced by agricultural technologies in rural Ethiopia?," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1), July.
- Maxwell, Daniel & Caldwell, Richard & Langworthy, Mark, 2008. "Measuring food insecurity: Can an indicator based on localized coping behaviors be used to compare across contexts?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 533-540, December.
- Alcaraz V., Gabriela & Zeller, Manfred, 2007.
"Use of household food insecurity scales for assessing poverty in Bangladesh and Uganda,"
106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France
7939, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alcaraz V., Gabriela & Zeller, Manfred, 2008. "Use of household food insecurity scales for assessing poverty in Bangladesh and Uganda," Research in Development Economics and Policy (Discussion Paper Series) 57164, Universitaet Hohenheim, Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in the Tropics and Subtropics.
- Honicke, Mireille & Ecker, Olivier & Qaim, Matin & Weinberger, Katinka, 2006. "Vitamin A and iron consumption and the role of indigenous vegetables: A household level analysis in the Philippines," Research in Development Economics and Policy (Discussion Paper Series) 8533, Universitaet Hohenheim, Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in the Tropics and Subtropics.
- Ali, Mubarik & Farooq, Umar, 2004. "Dietary Diversity And Rural Labor Productivity: Evidence From Pakistan," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20310, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Raghav Gaiha1 & Nidhi Kaicker & Katsushi Imai & Vani S. Kulkarni & Ganesh Thapa International Fund for Agricultural Development, Rome, 2012. "Dietary Shift and Diet Quality in India: An Analysis Based on 50th, 61st and 66th Rounds of NSS," ASARC Working Papers 2012-17, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.