Assessing the spatial distribution of crop production using a generalized cross-entropy approach:
AbstractWhile agricultural production statistics are reported on a geopolitical – often national - basis we often need to know the status of production or productivity within specific sub-regions, watersheds, or agro-ecological zones. Such re-aggregations are typically made using expert judgments or simple area-weighting rules. We describe a new, entropy-based approach to making spatially disaggregated assessments of the distribution of crop production. Using this approach tabular crop production statistics are blended judiciously with an array of other secondary data to assess the production of specific crops within individual ‘pixels' – typically 25 to 100 square kilometers in size. The information utilized includes crop production statistics, farming system characteristics, satellite-derived land cover data, biophysical crop suitability assessments, and population density. An application is presented in which Brazilian state level production statistics are used to generate pixel level crop production data for eight crops. To validate the spatial allocation we aggregated the pixel estimates to obtain synthetic estimates of municipio level production in Brazil, and compared those estimates with actual municipio statistics. The approach produced extremely promising results. We then examined the robustness of these results compared to short-cut approaches to spatializing crop production statistics and showed that, while computationally intensive, the cross-entropy method does provide more reliable estimates of crop production patterns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series EPTD discussion papers with number 126.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Entropy; Cross entropy; Remote sensing; Spatial allocation; Crop distribution;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-02-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2005-02-13 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2005-02-13 (Economic Geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xavier, Antonio & Martins, Maria de Belem & Fragoso, Rui Manuel de Sousa, 2011. "Recovery of Incomplete Data of Statistical Livestock Number Applying an Entropy Approach," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115790, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- You, Liangzhi & Wood, Stanley, 2006. "An entropy approach to spatial disaggregation of agricultural production," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-3), pages 329-347, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.