Working Paper 09-09 - Alternative assessment of Belgian competitiveness
AbstractThis paper investigates graphically and econometrically the relationship between the relative positions, in terms of value added and relative prices, of Belgian manufacturing and market services in the European Union over 1970-2005. Relative prices are then decomposed into relative unit costs of factors of production. The analysis goes further by replacing relative unit labour cost with relative hourly wages and relative productivity. Finally, relative produc-tivity is replaced with relative capital deepening, relative labour composition effect and relative total factor productivity. All data are coming from the EUKLEMS database, March 2008 release.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Planning Bureau, Belgium in its series Working Papers with number 0909.
Date of creation: 15 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Relative position; Relative unit costs; Relative prices; TFP;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
- P42 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Productive Enterprises; Factor and Product Markets; Prices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-10-31 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2009-10-31 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Henri Bogaert & Chantal Kegels, 2012.
"Planning Paper 112 - Compétitivité de la Belgique - Défis et pistes de croissance
[Planning Paper 112 - Concurrentievermogen van België - Uitdagingen en groeipistes]," Planning Papers 112, Federal Planning Bureau, Belgium.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dominique van der Wal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.