The Macro-Prudential Authority: Powers, Scope and Accountability
AbstractNeither the achievement of price stability, via the MPC, nor the application of micro-prudential oversight, via the FSA, led to overall financial stability. There is a gap that needs to be filled by a macro-prudential authority (M-PA), FPC in the UK. The only macro-prudential instrument used heretofore has been the publication of Financial Stability Reviews (FSR). While worthy, these have been ineffective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Special Papers with number sp203.
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masciandaro, Donato, 2009. "Politicians and financial supervision unification outside the central bank: Why do they do it?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 124-146, June.
- Masciandaro, Donato & Quintyn, Marc & Taylor, Michael W., 2008. "Inside and outside the central bank: Independence and accountability in financial supervision: Trends and determinants," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 833-848, December.
- Wagner, Wolf, 2010.
"Diversification at financial institutions and systemic crises,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 373-386, July.
- Wagner, W.B., 2006. "Diversification at Financial Institutions and Systemic Crises," Discussion Paper 2006-71, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Borio, C., 2009. "Implementing the macroprudential approach to financial regulation and supervision," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 13, pages 31-41, September.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2011:i:may:p:65-72 is not listed on IDEAS
- Itai Agur & Sunil Sharma, 2013. "Rules, Discretion, and Macro-Prudential Policy," IMF Working Papers 13/65, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.