The Regulatory Response to the Financial Crisis
AbstractIn this paper I shall take the causes, developments and economic consequences of the financial dislocations of the last six months as given and generally understood, having already written extensively on this subject, in a more academic vein in the Journal of International Economics and Economic Policy and in a more popular format in the February, 2008, issue of Prospect.� Instead I want to turn to the regulatory implications, and official responses, of this continuing event.� Being British, this inevitably focuses primarily on issues pertaining to the UK.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Special Papers with number sp177.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yucel, Eray, 2011. "A Review and Bibliography of Early Warning Models," MPRA Paper 32893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mathis, Jérôme & McAndrews, James & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009. "Rating the raters: Are reputation concerns powerful enough to discipline rating agencies?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 657-674, July.
- Carin van der Cruijsen & Jakob de Haan & David-Jan Jansen & Robert Mosch, 2010.
"Knowledge and Opinions about Banking Supervision: Evidence from a Survey of Dutch Households,"
DNB Working Papers
275, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van der Cruijsen, Carin & de Haan, Jakob & Jansen, David-Jan & Mosch, Robert, 2013. "Knowledge and opinions about banking supervision: Evidence from a survey of Dutch households," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 219-229.
- Aikman, David & Alessandri, Piergiorgio & Eklund, Bruno & Gai, Prasanna & Kapadia, Sujit & Martin, Elizabeth & Mora, Nada & Sterne, Gabriel & Willison, Matthew, 2009.
"Funding liquidity risk in a quantitative model of systemic stability,"
Bank of England working papers
372, Bank of England.
- David Aikman & Piergiorgio Alessandri & Bruno Eklund & Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia, & Elizabeth Martin, & Nada Mora & Gabriel Sterne & Matthew Willison, 2011. "Funding Liquidity Risk in a Quantitative Model of Systemic Stability," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Rodrigo Alfaro (ed.), Financial Stability, Monetary Policy, and Central Banking, edition 1, volume 15, chapter 12, pages 371-410 Central Bank of Chile.
- David Aikman & Piergiorgio Alessandri & Bruno Eklund & Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia & Elizabeth Martin & Nada Mora & Gabriel Sterne & Matthew Willison, 2009. "Funding Liquidity Risk in a Quantitative Model of Systemic Stability," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 555, Central Bank of Chile.
- Mälkönen, Ville & Niinimäki, J.-P., 2012. "Blanket guarantee, deposit insurance and restructuring decisions for multinational banks," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 84-95.
- Cukierman, Alex, 2011. "Reflections on the crisis and on its lessons for regulatory reform and for central bank policies," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 26-37, January.
- Gerhardt, Maria & Lannoo, Karel, 2011. "Options for reforming deposit protection schemes in the EU," ECRI Papers 4339, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Marcelo Madureira Prates, 2013. "Why Prudential Regulation Will Fail to Prevent Financial Crises. A Legal Approach," Working Papers Series 335, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2011.
"Basel Core Principles and bank soundness: Does compliance matter?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 179-190, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2009. "Basel core principles and bank soundness : does compliance matter ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5129, The World Bank.
- Hardy, Daniel C. & Nieto, Maria J., 2011. "Cross-border coordination of prudential supervision and deposit guarantees," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 155-164, August.
- Esther Jeffers, 2009. "Action du prêteur en dernier ressort : qu’avons-nous appris lors de cette crise ?," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 94(1), pages 241-249.
- Ding, Cherng G. & Wu, Chiu-Hui & Chang, Pao-Long, 2013. "The influence of government intervention on the trajectory of bank performance during the global financial crisis: A comparative study among Asian economies," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 556-564.
- Andreas Horsch, 2012. "Managerial Action And Financial Crisis," Polish Journal of Management Studies, Czestochowa Technical University, Department of Management, vol. 5(1), pages 7-33, June.
- Monika Marcinkowska, 2013. "Regulation and self-regulation in banking: in search of optimum," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 44(2), pages 119-158.
- Chaigneau, Pierre, 2013. "Risk-shifting and the regulation of bank CEOs’ compensation," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 778-789.
- Köksal, Bülent & Orhan, Mehmet, 2012. "Market risk of developed and developing countries during the global financial crisis," MPRA Paper 37523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De La Motte, Laura & Czernomoriez, Janna & Clemens, Marius, 2010.
"Zur Vertrauensökonomik: Der Interbankenmarkt in der Krise von 2007-2009
[Economics of trust: The interbank market during the crisis 2007-2009]," MPRA Paper 20357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.