Central banks and financial crises
AbstractThe paper draws lessons from the experience of the past year for the conduct of central banks in the pursuit of macroeconomic and financial stability. Macroeconomic stability is defined as either price stability or as price stability and sustainable output or employment growth. Financial stability refers to (1) the absence of asset price bubbles, (2) the prevention or mitigation of systemically significant funding illiquidity and market illiquidity and (3) the prevention of insolvency of systemically important financial institutions. The performance of the Fed, the ECB and the Bank of England is evaluated in terms of these criteria. The Fed is judged to have done worst both as regards macroeconomic stability and as regards one of the two time dimensions of financial stability: minimizing the likelihood and severity of future financial crises. As regards ‘putting out fires’ (dealing with the immediate crisis), the Bank of England gets the wooden spoon for its early failure to perform the lender of last resort and market maker of last resort roles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp619.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-01-31 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FMK-2009-01-31 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2009-01-31 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010.
"Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," Working Paper Series 1126, European Central Bank.
- R. P. Agenor & K. Alper & L. Pereira da Silva, 2013.
"Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy, and Financial Stability,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(3), pages 198-243, September.
- Pierre-Richard Agenor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2012. "Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy and Financial Stability," Working Papers 1228, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & K. Alper & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2011. "Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy and Financial Stability," Working Papers Series 237, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2011. "Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy and Financial Stability," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 154, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Arnold, Ivo J.M. & van Ewijk, Saskia E., 2011. "Can pure play internet banking survive the credit crisis?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 783-793, April.
- Ojo, Marianne, 2009.
"Central bank’s role and involvement in bank regulation: Lender of last resort arrangements and the Special Resolution Regime (SRR),"
33670, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2011.
- Ojo, Marianne, 2009. "Central bank’s role and involvement in bank regulation: Lender of last resort arrangements and the Special Resolution Regime (SRR)," MPRA Paper 15771, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Brei & Carlos Winograd, 2012. "Foreign banks, corporate strategy and financial stability: lessons from the river plate," PSE Working Papers halshs-00703738, HAL.
- Olalla, Myriam García & Gómez, Alejandro Ruiz, 2011. "Robust control and central banking behaviour," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1265-1278, May.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser, 2009. "The Global Financial Crisis And After: A New Capitalism?," Textos para discussÃ£o 240, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00703738 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.