Financing Constraints and a Firm’s Decision and Ability to Innovate: Establishing Direct and Reverse Effects
AbstractThe paper analyzes the existence and impact of financing constraints as a possibly serious obstacle to innovation by .rms. Direct measures of financing constraints are employed using survey data collected by the Banque de France and the European Commission, which overcomes the problems with the traditional approach of trying to deduce the existence and impact of financing constraints through the significance of firm wealth variables. The econometric framework employed for this study is the simultaneous bivariate probit with mutual endogeneity. The paper discusses the important identification issue of coherency conditions in such LDV models with endogeneity and flexible temporal and contemporaneous correlations in the unobservable error terms. Conditions for coherency as discussed in the existing literature are reviewed and shown to be rather esoteric. Two novel methods for establishing coherency conditions are presented, which have intuitive interpretations. Finally, the paper presents alternative approaches for achieving coherency in models hitherto classified as incoherent through the use of prior sign restrictions on model parameters. This allows us to obtain estimates of the interaction between financing constraints and a firm’s decision and ability to innovate without forcing the econometric models to be recursive. Thus, direct as well as reverse interaction effects are obtained for the first time.Keywords: Limited Dependent Variable Models, Coherency ConditionsJEL Classifications: C51, C52, C15
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp594.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Hajivassiliou, V. & Savignac, F., 2008. "Financing Constraints and a Firm's Decision and Ability to Innovate: Establishing Direct and Reverse Effects," Working papers 202, Banque de France.
- Vassilis Hajivassiliou & Frédérique Savignac, 2007. "Financing constraints and a firm's decision and ability to innovate: establishing direct and reverse effects," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4774, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-09-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-INO-2007-09-02 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou, 2007.
"Unemployment and liquidity constraints,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 479-510.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1090, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1999. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9925, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Working Papers _019, Yale University.
- V A Hajivassiliou & Y Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," CEP Discussion Papers dp0243, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1998.
"The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 863-896, July.
- V A Hajivassiliou & DL McFadden, 1997. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1997/328, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1993. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," Working Papers _023, Yale University.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Uhlig, Harald, 1999.
"What are the Effects of Monetary Policy on Output? Results from an Agnostic Identification Procedure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2005. "What are the effects of monetary policy on output? Results from an agnostic identification procedure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 381-419, March.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 1999. "What are the Effects of Monetary Policy on Output? Results from an Agnostic Identification Procedure," Discussion Paper 1999-28, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Frédérique Savignac, 2006. "The impact of financial constraints on innovation : evidence from french manufacturing firms," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v06042, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Frédérique Savignac, 2006. "The impact of financial constraints on innovation : evidence from French manufacturing firms," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00115717, HAL.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Stelios Corres & Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993. "An Empirical Investigation on the Dynamics of Qualitative Decisions of Firms," Working Papers _020, Yale University.
- Christopher A. Hennessy & Toni M. Whited, 2007. "How Costly Is External Financing? Evidence from a Structural Estimation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1705-1745, 08.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.