Mean-Variance Portfolio allocation with a Value at Risk Constraint
AbstractIn this paper, I first provide a unifying approach to Mean-Variance analysis and Value at Risk, which highlights both their similarities and differences. Then I use it to explain how fund managers can take investment decisions within the well-known Mean-Variance allocation framework that satisfy the VaR restrictions imposed by regulators. I do so by introducing a new type of line to the usual mean-standard deviation diagram, called IsoVaR, which represents all the portfolios that share the same VaR for a fixed probability level. Finally, I analyse the ¶shadow cost¶ of a VaR constraint.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp380.
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Sentana, Enrique, 2001. "Mean Variance Portfolio Allocation with a Value at Risk Constraint," CEPR Discussion Papers 2997, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sentana, E., 2001. "Mean-Variance Portfolio Allocation with a Value at Risk Constraint," Papers 0105, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2006.
"Precautionary Savings or Working Longer Hours?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(2), pages 326-352, April.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2003. "Precautionary Savings Or Working Longer Hours?," Working Papers wp2003_0311, CEMFI.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2004. "Precautionary Savings or Working Longer Hours?," 2004 Meeting Papers 350, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pijoan-Mas, Josep, 2005. "Precautionary Savings or Working Longer Hours?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5322, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grau-Carles, Pilar & Sainz, Jorge & Otamendi, Javier & Doncel, Luis Miguel, 2009. "Different risk-adjusted fund performance measures: a comparison," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-54, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.