Semiparametric Estimation of a Characteristic-Based Factor Model of Stock Returns
AbstractThis paper develops a new estimation procedure for characteristic-based factor models of stock returns. It describes a factor model in which the factor betas are smooth nonlinear functions of observed security characteristics. It develops an estimation procedure that combines nonparametric kernel methods for constructing mimicking portfolios with parametric nonlinear regression to estimate factor returns and factor betas. Factor models are estimated for UK and US common stocks using book-to-price ratio, market capitalizations, and dividend yield.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp346.
Date of creation: Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007.
"Efficient Estimation of a SemiparametricCharacteristic-Based Factor Model of Security Returns,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2007/524, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007. "Efficient estimation of a semiparametric characteristic-based factor model of security returns," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24504, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007. "Efficient Estimation of a Semiparametric Characteristic- Based Factor Model of Security Returns," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 07-26, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Gregory Connor & Oliver Linton & Matthias Hagmann, 2007. "Efficient Estimation of a Semiparametric Characteristic-Based Factor Model of Security Returns," FMG Discussion Papers dp599, Financial Markets Group.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007. "Efficient estimation of a semiparametric characteristic-based factor model of security returns," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3775, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Matthias Fengler & Wolfgang Härdle & Enno Mammen, 2005. "A Dynamic Semiparametric Factor Model for Implied Volatility String Dynamics," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-020, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.