Ambiguity made easier
AbstractIn this paper we review some well-known simple models for portfolio selection under Knightian uncertainty, also known as ambiguity, and we compute a number of explicit optimal portfolio rules using elementary mathematical tools. In the case of a single period financial market, new results arise for an agent who is risk neutral and smoothly ambiguity averse, for a loss averse and smoothly ambiguity averse agent, for a Mean-Variance and alpha-Maxmin Expected Utility agent. In a continuous time setting, we are able to recover some existing results on optimal investment strategies employing trivial stochastic analysis and avoiding the complicated BSDE machinery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa in its series Working Papers - Mathematical Economics with number 2011-07.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Knightian uncertainty; Maxmin Expected Utility; smooth ambiguity aversion; loss aversion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epstein, Larry G & Wang, Tan, 1994. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Under Knightian Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 283-322, March.
- Peter Bossaerts & Paolo Ghirardato & Serena Guarnaschelli & William R. Zame, 2006.
"Ambiguity in Asset Markets: Theory and Experiment,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
27, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2009.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Miao, Jianjun, 2003.
"A two-person dynamic equilibrium under ambiguity,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1253-1288, May.
- Taboga, Marco, 2005.
"Portfolio selection with two-stage preferences,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 152-164, September.
- Kan, Raymond & Zhou, Guofu, 2007. "Optimal Portfolio Choice with Parameter Uncertainty," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(03), pages 621-656, September.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2008. "Active portfolio management with benchmarking: Adding a value-at-risk constraint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 779-820, March.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry G. Epstein, 2000.
"Ambiguity, risk and asset returns in continuous time,"
RCER Working Papers
474, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Zengjing Chen & Larry Epstein, 2002. "Ambiguity, Risk, and Asset Returns in Continuous Time," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1403-1443, July.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Steve E., 2010. "How loss averse are investors in financial markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2425-2438, October.
- Peter Klibanoff & Massimo Marinacci & Sujoy Mukerji, 2005.
"A Smooth Model of Decision Making under Ambiguity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(6), pages 1849-1892, November.
- Sujoy Mukerji & Peter Klibanoff, 2002. "A Smooth Model of Decision,Making Under Ambiguity," Economics Series Working Papers 113, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Peter Klibanoff & Massimo Marinacci & Sujoy Mukerji, 2002. "A smooth model of decision making under ambiguity," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised Apr 2003.
- Zhiyong Dong & Qingyang Gu & Xu Han, 2010. "Ambiguity aversion and rational herd behaviour," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 331-343.
- Dow, James & Werlang, Sergio Ribeiro da Costa, 1992. "Uncertainty Aversion, Risk Aversion, and the Optimal Choice of Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 197-204, January.
- Haley, M. Ryan & McGee, M. Kevin, 2006. "Tilting safety first and the Sharpe portfolio," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 173-180, September.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michele Gori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.