Socially Beneficial Mergers: A New Class of Concentration Indices
AbstractThe prominent Herfindahl-Hirschman index (HHI), yields a higher concentration level in response to any merger between firms, implying that any merger will decrease the social welfare. Although HHI is used by the Anti-trust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (AD-DoJ), its merger implications are not fully embraced by the anti-trust authorities. We propose a class of concentration indices that is in line with the spirit of the AD-DoJ’s merger policies and consider different theoretical models which indicate that the AD-DoJ is justified in allowing mergers especially among smaller firms, as they counter the market power of dominant firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Florida International University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0504.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Horizontal Mergers; Industry Concentration; the Anti-Trust Division; Hirfindahl-Hirschman Index (HHI); Dominant Firm(s);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-08-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-08-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2005-08-13 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1982.
"A normative approach to industrial-performance evaluation and concentration indices,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 89-121.
- BLACKORBY, Charles & DONALDSON, David & WEYMARK, John A., . "A normative approach to industrial-performance evaluation and concentration indices," CORE Discussion Papers RP -483, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ugur Akgün, 2004. "Mergers With Supply Functions," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 535-546, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sheng Guo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.