Measuring housing services inflation
AbstractRecent papers have questioned the accuracy of the Bureau of Labor Statistics' methodology for measuring implicit rents for owner-occupied housing. The authors propose cross-checking the BLS statistics by using data on owner-occupied and rental housing from the American Housing Survey. A hedonic approach that explicitly calculates capitalization rates appears to be a feasible one for developing a methodologically consistent measure of the rental cost of owner-occupied housing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia in its series Working Papers with number 99-9.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Productivity, R&D, and the Data Constraint,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 347-374
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord90-1.
- David Genesove, 2003.
"The Nominal Rigidity of Apartment Rents,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 844-853, November.
- Linneman, Peter, 1980. "Some empirical results on the nature of the hedonic price function for the urban housing market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 47-68, July.
- Linneman, Peter & Voith, Richard, 1991.
"Housing price functions and ownership capitalization rates,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 100-111, July.
- Peter Linneman & Richard Voith, 1988. "Housing price functions and ownership capitalization rates," Working Papers 88-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Kevin J. Fox, 1999. "Can measurement error explain the productivity paradox?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 251-280, April.
- Gordon, Robert J., 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226304557, July.
- Raquel Arévalo & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2004. "The Rental Equivalence Approach To Nonrental Housing In The Consumer Price Index. Evidence From Spain," Economics Working Papers we041704, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Randal Verbrugge, 2008.
"The Puzzling Divergence Of Rents And User Costs, 1980-2004,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 671-699, December.
- Randal Verbrugge, 2009. "The Puzzling Divergence of Rents and User Costs, 1980-2004," Working Papers 422, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002.
"Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2002,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002. "Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998," Working Paper Series 0116, European Central Bank.
- Thesia I. Garner & Randal Verbrugge, 2007. "Puzzling Divergence of U.S. Rents and User Costs, 1980-2004: Summary and Extensions," Working Papers 409, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Joshua Gallin, 2004. "The long-run relationship between house prices and rents," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bajari, Patrick & Benkard, C. Lanier & Krainer, John, 2004.
"House Prices and Consumer Welfare,"
1840, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Theodore M. Crone & Leonard I. Nakamura & Richard P. Voith, 2004. "Hedonic estimates of the cost of housing services: rental and owner-occupied units," Working Papers 04-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- David E. Lebow & Jeremy B. Rudd, 2001. "Measurement error in the consumer price index: where do we stand?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-61, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kurz, Claudia & Hoffmann, Johannes, 2004. "A rental-equivalence index for owner-occupied housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2009. "Durables and Owner-Occupied Housing in a Consumer Price Index," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 445-500 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.