Retail pricing of ATM network services
AbstractThis paper develops a model of wholesale and retail fee-setting for automated teller machine (ATM) network services, and comparative statics results are derived. Retail ATM fees are shown to be dependent on the demand-side network effect and economies of scale in production of network services. These, in turn, are functions of the size of the ATM network. Survey data on bank fees are linked with the bank's probable ATM network membership, and the retail ATM fees are regressed on ATM network size and other variables in a reduced-form estimation. The results suggest that both network effects in demand and economies of scale influence retail ATM network service fees, with economies of scale becoming dominant for the largest ATM networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia in its series Working Papers with number 96-12.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Shared ATM networks and banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1113-1138, May.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- James J. McAndrews & Rafael Rob, 1994.
"Shared ownership and pricing in a network switch,"
Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
94-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- McAndrews, James J. & Rob, Rafael, 1996. "Shared ownership and pricing in a network switch," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 727-745, October.
- James J. McAndrews, 1991. "The evolution of shared ATM networks," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue May, pages 3-16.
- Kari Kemppainen, 2004. "Competition and regulation in European retail payment systems," Microeconomics, EconWPA 0404008, EconWPA.
- Guibourg, Gabriela, 2001. "Interoperability and Network Externalities in Electronic Payments," Working Paper Series, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden) 126, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.