Firm value and cross-listings: the impact of stock market prestige
AbstractThis study investigates the valuation impact of a firm’s decision to cross-list on a more (or less) prestigious stock exchange relative to its own domestic market. We use network analysis to derive broad market-based measures of prestige for forty-five country or regional stock exchange destinations between 1990 and 2006. We find that firms cross-listing in a more prestigious market enjoy significant valuation gains over the five-year period following the listing. We also document a reverse effect for firms cross-listing in less prestigious markets: These firms experience a significant decline in valuation over the five years following the listing. The reputation of the cross-border listing destinations is therefore a useful signal of a firm’s value going forward. Our findings are consistent with the view that cross-listing in a prestigious market enhances a firm’s visibility, strengthens corporate governance, and lowers informational frictions and capital costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its series Staff Reports with number 474.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagano, Marco & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001.
"The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2002. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2651-2694, December.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Roell & Joseph Zechner, 1999. "The Geography of Equity Listing; Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CSEF Working Papers 28, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Stavros Peristiani, 2009. "Prestigious stock exchanges: a network analysis of international financial centers," Staff Reports 384, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Domowitz, Ian & Glen, Jack & Madhavan, Ananth, 2001.
"Liquidity, Volatility and Equity Trading Costs across Countries and over Time,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 221-55, Summer.
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 2000. "Liquidity, Volatility, and Equity Trading Costs Across Countries and Over Time," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 322, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hamid Mehran & Stavros Peristiani, 2010.
"Financial Visibility and the Decision to Go Private,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(2), pages 519-547, February.
- Hamid Mehran & Stavros Peristiani, 2009. "Financial visibility and the decision to go private," Staff Reports 376, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Yael V. Hochberg & Alexander Ljungqvist & Yang Lu, 2007. "Whom You Know Matters: Venture Capital Networks and Investment Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 251-301, 02.
- Fernandes, Nuno & Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2009.
"On the Fortunes of Stock Exchanges and Their Reversals: Evidence from Foreign Listings,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernandes, Nuno & Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2013. "On the fortunes of stock exchanges and their reversals: evidence from foreign listings," Working Paper Series 1585, European Central Bank.
- Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008.
"Internationalization and the evolution of corporate valuation,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 607-632, June.
- Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2006. "Internationalization and the evolution of corporate valuation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3933, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2005. "Internationalization and the Evolution of Corporate Valuation," NBER Working Papers 11023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stavros Peristiani, 2007. "Evaluating the relative strength of the U.S. capital markets," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 13(Jul).
- Sergei Sarkissian & Michael J. Schill, 2009. "Are there permanent valuation gains to overseas listing?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 371-412, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.