Import demand under a foreign exchange constraint
AbstractThis paper develops a forward-looking model for import demand under a foreign exchange constraint, in which import growth is an increasing function of contemporaneous and expected future export growth. ; Unlike existing models which stress the role of foreign exchange reserves and contemporaneous export earnings for countries that have limited access to foreign borrowing, this one stresses the importance of the expected time path of future export earnings. The implications of the model are tested and confirmed with data from three East Asian developing countries for which relevant time series are available at quarterly intervals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its series Research Paper with number 9810.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Drazen, Allan, 1997.
"When liberal policies reflect external shocks, what do we learn?,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 249-273, May.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Allan Drazen, 1996. "When liberal policies reflect external shocks, what do we learn?," Staff Reports, Federal Reserve Bank of New York 18, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Allan Drazen, 1996. "When Liberal Policies Reflect External Shocks, What Do We Learn?," NBER Working Papers 5727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mohsin S. Khan, 1974. "Import and Export Demand in Developing Countries (Demande Ãƒ l'importation et l'exportation dans les pays en dÃƒÂ©veloppement) (La demanda de importaciÃƒÂ³n y de exportaciÃƒÂ³n en los paÃƒÂses en des," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(3), pages 678-693, November.
- Jerome Adda & Jonathan Eaton, 1998.
"Borrowing iwth Unobserved Liquidity Constraints: Structural Estimation with an Application to Sovereign Debt,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development
84, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Adda, JÃ©rÃ´me & Eaton, Jonathan, 1998. "Borrowing with unobserved liquidity constraints structural estimation with an application to sovereign debt," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9806, CEPREMAP.
- Adnan Mazarei, 1995. "Imports Under a Foreign Exchange Constraint," IMF Working Papers 95/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Carroll, Christopher D & Fuhrer, Jeffrey C & Wilcox, David W, 1994.
"Does Consumer Sentiment Forecast Household Spending? If So, Why?,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1397-1408, December.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Jeffery C. Fuhrer & David W. Wilcox, 1994. "RATS code for Does Consumer Sentiment Forecast Household Spending? If So, Why?," QM&RBC Codes, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles 49, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 1995.
"Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade: Evidence from Developing Countries,"
6974, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 1995. "Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade: Evidence from Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 290-312, June.
- Khan, Mohsin S & Knight, Malcolm D, 1988. "Import Compression and Export Performance in Developing Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 315-21, May.
- Faini, Riccardo & Pritchett, Lant & Clavijo, Fernando, 1988. "Import demand in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 122, The World Bank.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 1994.
"Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade,"
13708, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade," IMF Working Papers 94/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1986. "Determinants of international trade flows : The Case of Developing Countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 107-123.
- Worrell, DeLisle & Lowe, Shane & Naitram, Simon, 2012. "Growth Forecasts for Foreign Exchange Constrained Economies," MPRA Paper 52169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.