Reversal of Gender Gaps in Child Development: Evidence from Young Children in India
AbstractThis paper provides unique evidence of a reversal of gender gaps in cognitive development in early childhood. We find steep caste and gender gradients and few substantive changes once children enter school. The gender gap, however, reverses its sign for the upper caste, with girls performing better than boys at age 5 but thereafter following the general pattern in India of boys performing better.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2014-11.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2014
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Lopez Boo, Florencia & Canon, Maria Eugenia, 2014. "Reversal of gender gaps in child development: Evidence from young children in India," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 55-59.
- López Bóo, Florencia & Canon, Maria Eugenia, 2014. "Reversal of Gender Gaps in Child Development: Evidence from Young Children in India," IZA Discussion Papers 8191, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- J7 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2014-05-04 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2014-05-04 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schady,, Norbert & Behrman, Jere & Araujo, Maria Caridad & Azuero,, Rodrigo & Bernal, Raquel & Bravo, David & Lopez-Boo, Florencia & Macours, Karen & Marshall, Daniela & Paxson, Christina & Vakis, Ren, 2014.
"Wealth gradients in early childhood cognitive development in five Latin American countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6779, The World Bank.
- Norbert Schady & Jere Behrman & Maria Caridad Araujo & Rodrigo Azuero & Raquel Bernal & David Bravo & Florencia López Bóo & Karen Macours & Daniela Marshall & Christina Paxson & Renos Vakis, 2014. "Wealth Gradients in Early Childhood Cognitive Development in Five Latin American Countries," PIER Working Paper Archive 14-010, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Norbert Schady & Jere Behrman & Maria Caridad Araujo & Raquel Bernal, 2014. "Wealth gradients in early childhood cognitive development in five Latin American countries," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 010997, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Renos Vakis & Christina Paxson & Daniela Marshall & Karen Macours & Florencia López Bóo & David Bravo & Raquel Bernal & Rodrigo Azuero & María Caridad Araujo & Jere R. Behrman & Norbert Schady, 2014. "Wealth Gradients in Early Childhood Cognitive Development in Five Latin American Countries," IDB Publications 83776, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ira N. Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong-Su Yun, 2008. "Poverty In Rural India: Caste And Tribe," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 50-70, 03.
- Sharmistha Self & Richard Grabowski, 2011. "Is there gender bias in participation in early childhood education programs in developing countries? Role of mother's education," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(7), pages 909-925, October.
- Mohammed Niaz Asadullah & Uma Kambhampati & Florencia López Bóo, 2009.
"Social Divisions in School Participation and Attainment in India: 1983-2004,"
6774, Inter-American Development Bank.
- M. Niaz Asadullah & Uma Kambhampati & Florencia Lopez Boo, 2009. "Social Divisions in School Participation and Attainment in India: 1983-2004," Research Department Publications 4637, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Asadullah, Niaz & Kambhampati, Uma & López Bóo, Florencia, 2012. "Social Divisions in School Participation and Attainment in India: 1983-2004," IZA Discussion Papers 6329, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.