A new federal funds rate target series: September 27, 1982, - December 31, 1993
AbstractThis paper creates a new series of the FOMC*s Target for the federal funds rate for the period September 27, 1982 through December 31, 1993. The creation of this series was motivated by Thornton (2005). Analyzing the verbatim transcripts of the FOMC, Thornton finds that most of the FOMC believed they began targeting the funds rate even before it deemphasized M1*s role in the Fed*s daily operating procedure. The new series was constructed using the verbatim transcripts of FOMC meetings, the FOMC Blue Book, the Report of Open Market Operations and Money Market Conditions, and data that the author obtained from the Desk for the Federal Reserve Bank of New York dealing with open market operations over the period March 1984 through December 1996. The new series compared with another widely used series presented in Thornton and Wheelock (2000). There are some differences in the dating and magnitude of target changes between the two series prior to but not after August 1989.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2005-032.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2005-07-11 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MON-2005-07-11 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2008.
"Monetary policy: why money matters and interest rates don't,"
2008-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2012. "Monetary policy: why money matters, and interest rates don’t," Working Papers 2012-020, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Kobayashi, Teruyoshi, 2009. "Announcements and the effectiveness of monetary policy: A view from the US prime rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2253-2266, December.
- James D. Hamilton, 2007. "Assessing Monetary Policy Effects Using Daily Fed Funds Futures Contracts," NBER Working Papers 13569, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xiao Xiaohong) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Xiao Xiaohong to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.