Defining the adjusted monetary base in an era of financial change
AbstractThis paper examines how recent changes in the U.S. financial system have affected the appropriate definition, construction and interpretation of the St. Louis adjusted monetary base and adjusted reserves. Since 1990, reductions in statutory reserve requirements have significantly reduced the importance of the requirements as a constraint on the deposit and lending behavior of banks and other depository institutions. During the same period, depositories' interbank payments activities have come to determine most, if not all of their, demand for Federal Reserve Bank deposits. Our analysis suggests that measures of the monetary source base should be broadened to include all Federal Reserve deposits held by domestic depository institutions rather than just those deposits available to satisfy statutory reserve requirements, and that adjustments for the effects of changes in reserve requirements must recognize that many depositories' behavior is not affected by such requirements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 1996-014.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, November/December 1996, 78(6)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V.V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1995.
"Inside money, outside money and short term interest rates,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
95-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Chari, V V & Christiano, Lawrence J & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1995. "Inside Money, Outside Money, and Short-Term Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 1354-86, November.
- V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994. "Inside money, outside money and short-term interest rates," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 1354-1401.
- V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1995. "Inside Money, Outside Money and Short Term Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 5269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521522717.
- Albert E. Burger & Robert H. Rasche, 1977. "Revision of the monetary base," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 13-28.
- Hoffman, Dennis L & Rasche, Robert H, 1991.
"Long-Run Income and Interest Elasticities of Money Demand in the United States,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 665-74, November.
- Dennis Hoffman & Robert H. Rasche, 1989. "Long-run Income and Interest Elasticities of Money Demand in the United States," NBER Working Papers 2949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George S. Tolley, 1957. "Providing for Growth of the Money Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 465.
- Benston, George J, 1969. "An Analysis and Evaluation of Alternative Reserve Requirement Plans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(5), pages 849-70, December.
- Gambs, Carl M. & Rasche, Robert H., 1978. "Costs of reserves and the relative size of member and nonmember bank demand deposits," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 715-733, November.
- R. Alton Gilbert, 1978. "Effectiveness of state reserve requirements," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 16-28.
- Heidi Willmann Richards, 1995. "Daylight overdraft fees and the Federal Reserve's payment system risk policy," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Dec, pages 1065-1077.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Richard G. Anderson & Robert H. Rasche, 1996.
"A revised measure of the St. Louis adjusted monetary base,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 3-13.
- Richard G. Anderson & Robert H. Rasche, 1996. "A revised measure of the St. Louis adjusted monetary base," Working Papers 1996-004, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.