Monetary aggregation theory and statistical index numbers
AbstractThis paper is the first of two from the Monetary Services Indices (MSI) Project at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. The second paper, Working Paper 96-008B, summarizes the methodology, construction and data sources for the an extensive new database of monetary services indices, often referred to as Divisia monetary aggregates, for the United States. This paper surveys the microeconomic theory of the aggregation of monetary assets, bringing together results that are not otherwise readily available in a single source. In addition to indices of the flow of monetary services, the Project's database contains dual user cost indices, measures of potential aggregation error in the monetary services indices, and measures of the stock of monetary wealth. An overview of the Project and the concept of monetary aggregation is included here as a preface. ; Earlier title: An introduction to monetary aggregation theory and statistical theory and statistical index numbers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 1996-007.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, January/February 1997, 79(1)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Barnett & Barry E. Jones & Travis D. Nesmith, 2008. "Divisia Second Moments: An Application of Stochastic Index Number Theory," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200803, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149.
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 1990. "A dispersion-dependency diagnostic test for aggregation error : With applications to monetary economics and income distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 5-34.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2000. "Divisia Indexes, Money and Welfare," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 396, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Barnett, William A., 2003.
"Aggregation-theoretic monetary aggregation over the euro area, when countries are heterogeneous,"
Working Paper Series
0260, European Central Bank.
- William A. Barnett, 2003. "Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over the Euro Area, when Countries are Heterogeneous," Macroeconomics 0309018, EconWPA.
- Jane M. Binner & Peter Tino & Jonathan Tepper & Richard G. Anderson & Barry Jones & Graham Kendall, 2009.
"Does money matter in inflation forecasting?,"
2009-030, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Binner, J.M. & Tino, P. & Tepper, J. & Anderson, R. & Jones, B. & Kendall, G., 2010. "Does money matter in inflation forecasting?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4793-4808.
- Travis D. Nesmith, 2006. "Rational seasonality," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2007-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Elger, Thomas, 2002. "The Demand for Monetary Assets in the UK; a Locally Flexible Demand System Analysis," Working Papers 2002:6, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- William Barnett & Unja Chae & John Keating, 2005.
"Forecast Design in Monetary Capital Stock Measurement,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200516, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2005.
- William A Barnett & Unja Chae & John W Keating, 2012. "Forecast Design In Monetary Capital Stock Measurement," Global Journal of Economics (GJE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 1250005-1-1.
- William Barnett & Unja Chae & John Keating, 2005. "Forecast Design in Monetary Capital Stock Measurement," Macroeconomics 0508022, EconWPA.
- Sauer, J.F., 2005. "“Efficiency Flooding”: Black-Box Frontiers and Policy Implications," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(1), pages 17-52.
- William Barnett & Barry E. Jones & Milka Kirova & Travis D. Nesmith & Meenakshi Pasupathy1, 2004.
"The Nonlinear Skeletons in the Closet,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200403, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised May 2004.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2011.
"The Macroeconomic Effects on Interest on Reserves,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
772, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Binner, Jane & Elger, Thomas, 2002. "The UK Personal Sector Demand for Risky Money," Working Papers 2002:9, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Katrin Wesche, 1997. "The demand for divisia money in a core monetary union," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 51-60.
- Sarwar, haroon & Hussian, zakir & Awan, masood sarwar, 2011. "Money Demand Functions for Pakistan (Divisia Approach)," MPRA Paper 34361, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard G. Anderson & Barry Jones, 2011. "A comprehensive revision of the U.S. monetary services (divisia) indexes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 325-360.
- Stracca, Livio, 2001. "Does liquidity matter? Properties of a synthetic divisia monetary aggregate in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0079, European Central Bank.
- Johannes Sauer, 2006. "Economic Theory and Econometric Practice: Parametric Efficiency Analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 1061-1087, November.
- Richard G. Anderson & Barry Jones & Travis Nesmith, 1996. "Building new monetary services indices: methodology and source data," Working Papers 1996-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Richard G. Anderson & Jason Buol, 2005. "Revisions to user costs for the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis monetary services indices," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 735-50.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xiao Xiaohong) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Xiao Xiaohong to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.