The effect of old-age insurance on male retirement : evidence from historical cross-country data
AbstractI examine the effect of Old-Age Insurance systems on the labour supply of older men. Male retirement ages are crucial to the solvency of OAI systems. Historical data on participation rates and OAI rules in thirteen developed countries show rapid falls in participation among men aged 60-4 after pensions were extended to them. I estimate participation elasticities of -0.06 with respect to replacement rates and 0.19 to the net-of-tax wage. It does not appear that endogenous OAI changes bias the regression coefficients. The growth of OAI explains about 11 percent of the reduction in participation of men aged 60-4 since 1920; greater wealth probably explains most of the remainder.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in its series Research Working Paper with number RWP 00-09.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gruber, Jonathan & Wise, David, 1998. "Social Security and Retirement: An International Comparison," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 158-63, May.
- Alan Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1989.
"The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation,"
635, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Krueger, Alan B & Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 1992. "The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(4), pages 412-37, October.
- Alan B. Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1991. "The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation," NBER Working Papers 3699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Blake, David, 2003. "Pension Schemes and Pension Funds in the United Kingdom," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199243532, September.
- Courtney Coile & Jonathan Gruber, 2000. "Social Security and Retirement," NBER Working Papers 7830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friedberg, Leora, 1999.
"The effect of old age assistance on retirement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 213-232, February.
- Burkhauser, Richard V & Turner, John A, 1978. "A Time-Series Analysis on Social Security and Its Effect on the Market Work of Men at Younger Ages," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 701-15, August.
- Kahn, James A., 1988. "Social security, liquidity, and early retirement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 97-117, February.
- Burtless, Gary, 1986. "Social Security, Unanticipated Benefit Increases, and the Timing of Retirement," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 781-805, October.
- Dora L. Costa, 1998.
"The Evolution of Retirement,"
in: The Evolution of Retirement: An American Economic History, 1880-1990, pages 6-31
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Neumark & Elizabeth Powers, 1998.
"Welfare for the Elderly: The Effects of SSI on Pre-Retirement Labor Supply,"
NBER Working Papers
6805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neumark, David & Powers, Elizabeth, 2000. "Welfare for the elderly: the effects of SSI on pre-retirement labor supply," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 51-80, October.
- Fischer, Justina AV & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2009.
"The Effect of Pension Generosity on Early Retirement: A Microdata Analysis for Europe from 1967 to 2004,"
15940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Justina A. V. Fischer & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2009. "The Effect of Pension Generosity on Early Retirement: A Microdata Analysis for Europe from 1967 to 2004," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 311/2009, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Richard Disney, 2001. "Europe: Is There an Aging Crisis or is it a Public Pension Problem?," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(4), pages 25-30, 02.
- Bernardo Lanza Queiroz, 2007. "The determinants of male retirement in urban Brazil," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 17(1), pages 11-36, January-A.
- Tryggvi Thor Herbertsson, 2001. "Shrinking Labour Forces and Early Retirement," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(4), pages 31-37, October.
- Richard Johnson, 2001. "Effects of old-age insurance on female retirement : evidence from cross-country time-series data," Research Working Paper RWP 01-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.