The price of gasoline and the demand for fuel economy: evidence from monthly new vehicles sales data
AbstractThis paper uses a unique data set of monthly new vehicle sales by detailed model from 1978- 2007, and implements a new identification strategy to estimate the effect of the price of gasoline on consumer demand for fuel economy. We control for unobserved vehicle and consumer characteristics by using within model-year changes in the price of gasoline and vehicle sales. We find a significant demand response, as nearly half of the decline in market share of U.S. manufacturers from 2002-2007 was due to the increase in the price of gasoline. On the other hand, an increase in the gasoline tax would only modestly affect average fuel economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its series Working Paper Series with number WP-09-15.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2010-01-10 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2010-01-10 (Marketing)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Linn, Joshua, 2013.
"The Rebound Effect for Passenger Vehicles,"
dp-13-19, Resources For the Future.
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011.
"The cost of fuel economy in the Indian passenger vehicle market,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7174-7183.
- Randy Chugh & Maureen L. Cropper & Urvashi Narain, 2011. "The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market," NBER Working Papers 16987, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011. "The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market," Discussion Papers dp-11-12, Resources For the Future.
- Khanna, Shefali & Linn, Joshua, 2013. "Do Market Shares or Technology Explain Rising New Vehicle Fuel Economy?," Discussion Papers dp-13-29, Resources For the Future.
- Shanjun Li & Roger von Haefen & Christopher Timmins, 2008.
"How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy?,"
NBER Working Papers
14450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Klier & Joshua Linn, 2011.
"Fuel Prices and New Vehicle Fuel Economy in Europe,"
1117, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Klier, Thomas & Linn, Joshua, 2011. "Fuel Prices and New Vehicle Fuel Economy in Europe," Discussion Papers dp-11-37, Resources For the Future.
- Marco Salvi & Juerg Syz, 2011. "What drives “green housing” construction? Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(1), pages 86-102, February.
- Bruno de Borger & Jan Rouwendal, 2012. "Car User Taxes, Quality Characteristics and Fuel Efficiency: Household Behavior and Market Adjustment," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-122/VIII, Tinbergen Institute, revised 17 Jun 2013.
- Thomas H. Klier, 2009. "From tail fins to hybrids: How Detroit lost its dominance of the U.S. auto market," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 2-17.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.