Establishments dynamics, vacancies and unemployment: a neoclassical synthesis
AbstractThis paper develops a Walrasian equilibrium theory of establishment dynamics and matching frictions and uses it to analyze business cycle fluctuations. Two scenarios are considered: one in which the matching process is subject to congestion externalities and another in which it is not. The paper finds that the scenario with congestion externalities replicates U.S. business cycle dynamics much better than the scenario with efficient matching. Reallocation shocks improve the empirical behavior of the model in terms of microeconomic adjustments but have little consequences for aggregate dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its series Working Paper Series with number WP-09-14.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2010-01-10 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-GEO-2010-01-10 (Economic Geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steven J. Davis & Jason Faberman & John C. Haltiwanger, 2011.
"Labor Market Flows in the Cross Section and Over Time,"
NBER Working Papers
17294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J. & Faberman, R. Jason & Haltiwanger, John, 2012. "Labor market flows in the cross section and over time," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-18.
- Philipp Kircher & Leo Kaas, 2013.
"Efficient firm dynamics in a frictional labor market,"
2013 Meeting Papers
160, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Leo Kaas & Philipp Kircher, 2011. "Efficient Firm Dynamics in a Frictional Labor Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 3336, CESifo Group Munich.
- Leo Kaas & Philipp Kircher, 2011. "Efficient Firm Dynamics in a Frictional Labor Market," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2011-01, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Kaas, Leo & Kircher, Philipp, 2011. "Efficient Firm Dynamics in a Frictional Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 5452, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Philipp Kircher & Leo Kaas, 2010. "Efficient Firm Dynamics in a Frictional Labor Market," 2010 Meeting Papers 89, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Paul Gomme & Damba Lkhagvasuren, 2013.
"The Cyclicality of Search Intensity in a Competitive Search Model,"
13002, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2013.
- Paul Gomme & Damba Lkhagvasuren, 2011. "The Cyclicality of Search Intensity in a Competitive Search Model," Working Papers 11003, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.